DAFNE Online iPhone application - help with content/design needed

149 posts, 39 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

Hiya Simon...

Just ran the update and I'm more than impressed with what you've done. The ratio calc especially, is exactly what I was after and makes things a mile easier and quicker. I'm sure I'm not the only one to make the odd blunder!

One slight improvement to the calc (my opinion as a lazy beggar) would be that the :1 part would be static as old jelly fingers here has to delete the lot to alter the 1st part. Either that or use of a spinny wheel if people need to alter both parts.

Thanks for all your work...  And putting up with me harping on!

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi all,

As you can see from Thunderbolt's post we have just released the latest app update (1.2) with the following new features:

Diary summary drill-down - Click on one of your Blood Glucose (BG) averages to see your averages for different entry types.

Auto dosage calculation for Quick Acting (QA) insulin - In the settings tab, set 'Auto Calculate QA' to On, and you can specify the ratio you wish to use in the calculation in the Targets section. After entering CP information, the QA dosage will automatically be calculated and saved in the entry.

Let us know if you have any comments or suggestions. Also - if you like the app please rate it on the App Store.

Thunderbolt - yep I'll look into doing that for the next app version.

Simon

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

Simon, this is getting better and better. It is far more than an electronic DAFNE diary principally because of the way the entered data can be USED to help prospective readings and doses. Ive always believed that the value in coding and recording data can only be in how that information is then put to work. The BG averages by entry type are a great example of this. To include the 'Hypoglycaemia' option would help a person begin to accurately give an answer to "when do you begin to feel hypo?" if a person tests and records hypos in the App.

As this platform is delivering so well an application that the Apple DAFNE graduates can carry in their pocket, the more I think we need to invest in transferring the app to other platforms. This I believe needs to become a development request for the DAFNE organisers nationally and use of the app (appropriate to the user's phone) should be a part of the DAFNE training. I guess we're looking at Android, windows mobile 6.n and 7, and Symbian. If others feel this is important enough then I'd like to hear about it.

Well done Simon.

Jez

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Not experienced the app as im on android, but that sounds like a very positive response.....................well done from me Simon.....

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Guys, Sorry but progress with the Android version has not been as fast as I would hope. I have been distracted by the other DAFNE/Diabetes stuff I'm involved with and the Android Development environment is not as mature as that of the iphone. I will let everyone know when I have something that you can test.
I'm afraid there might be an issue Jez with any other versions. The IPR on the app and all related stuff rests with the site NOT with the DAFNE national organisers. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit heavy handed, but we have not been able to use the carb lists in the app because the DAFNE national organisers own the copyright. We are having to sign an agreement to be able to use it in the app. For this reason I see no reason why Simon should give all his hard work to them without a reciprocal agreement. To be honest I don't see them having the resource to get anything developed anyway. Simon and I are IT developers, there is no one in the national office who understands software, nor how you go about getting any kind of application developed.
We hope to develop the app for other platforms eventually, however we both have day jobs and other distractions that stop us working
on the site full time.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

As a further addition in support of Mark's comments if anyone has experience developing for the platforms that Jez mentioned, and would like to offer their assistance then please get in touch. As mentioned we do this all off our own back, and in our spare time hence the sporadic nature of our updates - so any assistance is gratefully received!

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all,

We've just released a bug fix version (1.2.1) and I'd advise you download it from the app store ASAP. This fixes a problem where the app wasn't uploading your injection site data to the DAFNE Online site diary properly.

In the next day or so I'll release a new graph on the site which shows your injection site usage in a pie chart. Any entries you have input into the app so far won't have their injection site info synchronized to the site, so I urge you to update the app now. Apologies for this, I know it may be frustrating.

In other news, version 1.3 - out in the next few weeks will contain the long-awaited Carbohydrate Portion list natively in the app.

Simon

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

Nice one Simon... Looking forward to having a dabble with the counter especially.

I'm having a few connection probe at the moment, only being able to save one result at a time. More than likely all the bumph on my iPod but just wondered. Also I've been doing a fasting test run today and wondered if the "other" category is the eight one to use. If not, any chance it could be added?!?

Great work as ever. Cheers fella!

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi Thunderbolt,

I think an update to the site we rolled out recently may have restricted the connections from the app. We've got rid of this update, so try again and let me know if your connection problems persist.

Also - for the Fasting entry, use Other for now and we'll look to add Fasting as an option in the future.

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all,

The latest update (1.3) is now out, with the long awaited carbohydrate portion list. You can search by name or category in for the food/drink you are looking for.

Try it out and let us know what you think.

Simon