DAFNE Online iPhone application - help with content/design needed

149 posts, 39 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I'm just working on the summary report for the BG, and have a question - does the TDD include corrective doses of QA? The handbook seems unclear and just gives the formula Total QA + Total BI in a day...

I've never had to calculate my own TDD so haven't come across this before.

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Rightly or wrongly! -
I have taken the rules to imply that it includes corrective QA
- it seems logical to me that if you are building up over a number of days to bringing in sick day rules to include any correctives that you have had to apply over the preceding day in order to get hold of the situation quickly.
Welcome any corrective response from HCP please.

Regards Garry

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

If all is running well and the QA:CP ratios are right then there won't be much in the way of correctional doses to add to the QA BI totals.
However, in the real world, a corrective dose is making up for the inaccuracies of the previous QA:CP ratio.
In terms of the purpose behind knowing your TDD - it is all about what you have needed to keep your sugar controlled. The weighting of corrective doses in the overall calculation for TDD, that is in turn then used in subdivided doses on a sick day, should be so small that it makes little difference. If it makes a big difference then someone's ratios or BIs are well off anyway and any corrections ought to be counted.
All the best
Jez

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

I see now why you say CP then BG. It's just a matter of getting used to it I suppose. My results are a bit high at the moment and I think I'm going to have to play around with my ratios - maybe having different ratios at different times of the day. Oh ''eck!!!

I do have one suggestion though that I think a lot of people would find useful. I'm not much of a sleeper and find I do a lot of testing after midnight so perhaps a start of day time could be added so that the before bed results don't show as before before breakfast. 

Top work though. I'm still getting my feet wet but I'm getting there!

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

That sounds like a great idea Thunderbolt - I would find my end of day BI shots being recorded in the right place then too.
Keep going with the ratios - having different ratios for each meal is not uncommon and once you've cracked it you'll find things fall into place a little easier. Doesnt remove the need for corrections from time to time though. My QA:CP ratios are breakfast 0.5:1 - Lunch 1:1 - and tea 2:1! But you soon remember it.

Can I also suggest that since BI doses don't vary as much as QA ones that the previous BI for morning and previous BI for evening is remembered as a starting point for the following day's entry? Not sure if that's possible or not and it would only be a convenience thing.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi both,

I usually go to bed quite late so can identify with this too. I've just submitted the latest update to the app store for approval so this won't be in that version, however should hit the next one. If I'm right - you're after a setting the say when the 'day' starts and ends - so in the settings part you could enter a time, then the diary would be grouped by periods of that time?

On the BI remembering - yep good idea, I'll put it on the list for the next version too.

Simon

28 posts

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the ratios. 

BI reminders sound a great idea. Especially when you're making alterations as I for one have reverted back to a dose from a day or 2 before when I've forgot about the alteration I made. I know I know. I'm a berk. Heheh!

Thanks to you both as well for the positive feedback on the start day times. I feel like a computer programmer without the hard work or knowledge.  

Nice one Simon. Thanks again... Again!

28 posts

Sorry folks. Me again. You'll probably be getting sick of me by now but I've just had a thought and as I'll more than likely forget it it's best I post now. 

Further to the start/end day idea, would it be better to have a button - if that's the right word - to start or end a days entry? The reason I say this is that you may well get up or go to bed at different times. Especially if you work shifts for example. 

gasmark 2 posts

Hi I've just recently started using the iPhone app
Great idea but all I can do is input readings
Then I don't know where they go?
How do you view the multiple readings?
How do you sync it with the online diary?
And any chance of incorporating graphs
Mark
Graduate 2009

28 posts

Hey up Mark...

If you tap the settings button at the bottom right it will show some options. In that list you'll see "upload results" just tap the on off button at the side to highlight ON and Bob's yer uncle.

Graphs are available on the sight once your results are uploaded, but having them within the app itself would be a nice bonus.

All the best fella.