DAFNE Online iPhone application - help with content/design needed

149 posts, 39 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Yep - looking to add ketones + other health measures to the online diary first - need to make sure this supports the measures first then we can get them in the iPhone app.

I've modified the keyboard for dosage/bg entry to counter the problems you've all mentioned, this should be hitting the app store very soon!

Simon

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
45 posts

Thanks Simon, your hard work is appreciated.

John Stevens DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Geelong, Victoria
9 posts

Hi Simon,
Great App. Wish I could help out with development. One thing, and it may be a local DAFNE interpretation, but we were taught to actually note corrections in Paper diaries with a + before the corrective insulin dose or CP. ie, if we are BG high, and not eating any CP, we would put a +1 in QA. Same if we are taking BI and need to add QI for a correction. Everytime I try to do this (on the odd occation) I get a message about the wrong format. I assume the Correction type is to take care of this, but if I am doing this Before Bed, then the type is wrong one way or the other. I have noticed that the summary page only shows entries that have the X+Y, or X-Y format. I think it would be better if we could include +/-X entries as well, so it is easier to enter a corrective dose.

Anyway, just a suggestion/request. Not overly concerned with HbA1C, but the ketones suggestion previously made would be good. Like the paper diaries.
Cheers
John

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

Hiya...

It's been a bit since I was logged in here and just been reading some of the suggestions and the ketones strikes as a good idea as does the "own food" list. To go one step further - or perhaps sideways - could the own food be submitted to the website and ance approved be added to the iphone as an update to the app itself?!? Or am I simply taking broken bicuits?

That aside, I've just started on a pump and as such gone back to pens and paper for a while. Can't even start to say how much I miss the ease and convenience of the DAFNE app, but there's a lot more to log in pump use at least while in the testing phase. I've also enjoted and taken a wee bit of pride in being able to contribute a few ideas along with others. I still use the carbs list for working out my lines when I'm stuck though, so I do keep my eye in on occasions.

Thanks for the massive amount of effort and time you've spent on this Simon & co... Don't suppose you fancy tailoring one to work for pumpers do you? You know, when yoou've got a few minutes spare?!? Heheheh.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi Thunderbolt,

As a non-pump user I don't know what you guys have to record - feel free to let me know and can see how easy it would be to add to the site/app.

Your suggestions sound good, and I'll be updating the app soon, need to focus on the site at the moment and we've got to migrate our servers, but new stuff will be in the app soon!

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Oh, and apologies for my slow reply John - good suggestions and I'll fix them in the app soon.

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

Blimey Simon... That I wasn't expecting. Sounds like you've got your hands full at the moment so appreciate the reply.

Pump records have to include the following list for each day and can often - if not always - with 10+ entries a day. The injections your belly escapes, your fingers more than make up for. Heheh...

Time
BG
Carb
Carb Bolus
BG Bolus (Correction)
IOB (Active Insulin)
Total Bolus
Change (of syringe etc)
Basal
Temp Basal

It's a bit funny as the pump does a lot of the working out for you and even saves a lot of your data, but I for one, can't make head or tail of the info it churns out at you when you use the meters software... Hence a return to ink and destruction of a small rainforest!

Can't praise the pump highly enough, but the logging system is another story completely.

If you like I'll pm you a link to some of my logs that are currently in spreadsheet style if that's of any use.

Thanks for the interest,effort and work that goes with it... Top man!

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all,

The latest version of the app is now live on the app store, with the following improvements:

* Improved keypad entry, so that you don't end up hitting the keypad when entering this information.

* Ability to enter Ketones (these are uploaded to the site with the rest of the entry info)

* You can now enter corrective doses at +8, as per John's request above. This will still be stored as 0+8, so as to remain compatible with the site diary.

Keep the suggestions coming, and remember to review / rate the app if you haven't!

Thanks,

Simon

John Stevens DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Geelong, Victoria
9 posts

Hi Simon,
Excellent work on the latest app. Glad my piggy finger no longer takes me away from the data entry, and I am sure the other changes will also be of use. I have noticed the app crash on several occasions (previous version as well) and have not yet been able to tie it down to anything. If there is anything I can do to assist in figuring this out, let me know.

Also, would it be possible for the carb counter to allow us to add items, much the same as the on line one? Here in .au, some things are a little different and it would be a handy feature, and also mean that the carb counter can grow organically.
Just a thought.
Cheers and keep up the good work.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi John,

Thanks for your positive feedback. We've had lots of requests for adding your own carb info / creating plates so we'll focus on adding this to the app in the new year.

If you find out what causes the app to crash then let us know, unfortunately it's hard to pin it down unless we know what's causing it.

Simon