DAFNE Online iPhone application - help with content/design needed

149 posts, 39 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi all,

I'm currently finishing my learning with regard to making iPhone applications, and am looking to start making an iPhone app for DAFNE Online very soon. As I'm starting from scratch I'd like to ask for your help in how it should look and work.

First of all - I think the two key features are the Carb Counting list, and Diary. Does anyone have anything else that they would like to see in the first version of an iPhone application?

Next - iPhone users are all familiar with the User Interface of the phone, and I'd like some guidance as to how you'd like to interact with the CP List and Diary on the phone - what navigation mechanisms have worked well in other applications, and what makes it easiest for you to get around (if you have any application examples you really like then let me know too).

Finally - if anyone have iPhone development experience and would like to get involved, by all means drop me an email ([email protected]) or private message.

Let iDiscussions commence!

Simon

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Hi Simon

I have an iPod touch, which shares lots of apps with the iPhone. Its not so flexible - I can only go on-line via wi-fi - but it will be great to be able to use it for diary and CP list (lots of places, like McDs have free wi-fi these days, so it won't be restricted to home use for CP lists).

I'd very much like to see a facility for multiple diary entries (a bit like the current on-line diary), rather than just a capacity to make entries one at a time. I tend to transfer diary entries in bulk, and being able to do this via my iPod touch at home would mean I don't have to kick the kids off the PC so often..

Stew

Yokel DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

I also have an ipod touch. I would like a version of the CP list which doesn't rely on internet access. Often restaurants etc don't have wi-fi and we camp alot so would like to be able to look at the CP list offline.
The diary could rely on wi-fi but ideally not.
Hope that helps!

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

Excellent Idea. I have only recently got an Iphone and one of the first apps I was looking for was a glucose monitoring one. Shortly after graduating the Sheffield course in I think 2001 I wrote an Excel file that looks like the DAFNE log book but which takes the valus to chart average glucose by meal times or insulin dosings. It would also multiply up your insulin dosings based on the carb intake and QA ratio for that meal. This was great but requires a mobile Excel device or access to the PC for each dose. Cue the IPhone!
I have been looking at GlucoseBuddy on the Apps store (free) and this seems simple and navigable.

The idea of analysis of sugars to suggest alterations in the ratios as data is collected would be good.
The idea of an onboard carb count ready reckoner library would be good.
Hypo Spotter would be a useful alert, so that if they appear to be showing a pattern in terms of timing this could be pointed out.
The idea of an icon that links to on screen flow charting for sick day rules would be very helpful.
The ability to sync with the DAFNE online log would be great (much like the GlucoseBuddy software).
An HbA1c predictor tool would be very interesting from a research perspective, now that there is IFCC standardsation in the lab testing.

Not much to wish for!!

Happy to help though,

Kind regards,

Dr Jez McCole, GP
www.gleadlessmedicalcentre.co.uk
Type 1
[email protected]

Clare77 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
2 posts

Simon, I am really excited about the prospect of an iphone DAFNE app! I have also have the glucose buddy on my iphone but I feel that I could get much more help from an app that is designed for the DAFNE system. I love the DAFNE regime but it can be quite time consuming when I'm at work and want to grab some lunch quickly. I would like to be able to have my ratios stored in the app and so all I need to do is input my CPs for each meal (I like the idea of having the CP list available to use for reference). Could the app generate the recommended insulin dose for me? And suggest corrections insulin doses also if I'm off target?
More than anything I would like my diary to appear on the screen exactly like the written DAFNE diary so I can view a week's data at a time and make choices about ratio changes. A notes section beside each day would also help me to input what changes I have made....again, just like the written version.
I hope I've not just been stating the obvious here Simon, this could really make such a difference to daily life for me...yey!!
Please contact me if you want to discuss anything further.

Clare Joyce
DAFNE Graduate 2004
Glasgow

Jonny DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1 post

Simon, with the long awaited release of CS5 from adobe, flash CS5 will now have the native ability to develop iphone apps. I currently develop flash apps at present and shall be looking into iphone apps once the software is released.

I am not sure if this would be of any use to you however feel free to get in touch.

Regards,

Jonny

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all - I've copied this from another topic on the Carb Counting forum, but thought it was relevant to this one too...

Well the DAFNE Online iPhone app is ready - however we've hit a small problem. The DAFNE Central team aren't keen on releasing the carb list in 'app' form without users paying for it. We're campaigning for it to be a free app, and whether we will be allowed to distribute the carbs list in an app for free will be decided at a DAFNE Executive meeting on 30th September.

As we don't want to keep you waiting for another 2 months or more - I'd like to get your opinion on the best course of action.

As it stands we could release the app, which allows you to enter and view your DAFNE Diary entries, as well as uploading these entries to your DAFNE Online account so that you can view them in graphical form and share with other users. You can also specify your own targets within the app, and BG results are colour coded according to those targets. Although the carbs list is implemented, we would have to lock it out and simply provide a link to the online carbs list we have here, until the DAFNE Executive make their decision.

Option two - we can wait until after september 30th for a decision from the DAFNE Executive as to whether the carbs list can be in a free version of the app. If the answer is no, we will create two versions of the app - one a paid for version containing the carbs list on your iPhone, the other without the carbs list, but for free.

Apologies for the complication - it is out of our hands at the moment, however your opinions on the above options would be gratefully received.

Answers on a postcard please (or just reply to this topic ;) )

Clare77 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
2 posts

Hi
I think option 1 is best, it would be really good to try out the app even before the carb list is on it. I have opened the PDF version of the carb list in my free ibook app so its really easy to get access to it using my iphone as it is now automatically stored in there.
Looking forward to the app release!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Hi Simon, I'm with Claire on this - option 1 would be my preference (can't wait, in fact). Stew

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all, you can now get the DAFNE Online iPhone app from the App store. Search for 'DAFNE' on the store or click this link.

As always, let us know via the forums or contact us section if there is anything you would like adding to the app, or if you find any bugs in it.

Simon