DAFNE Online iPhone application - help with content/design needed

149 posts, 39 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hi,
To overcome this hurdle, couldnt you have a feature where a user can enter all the information themselves.
So I can enter the food, portion size and carb count.

This would overcome this problem and be a excellent feature to have, you could build your own diary with other foods as well.
Definitely would be the best way to go.

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

Just wondering if there's any plan to make this work on the poor man's iPhone. Aka iPod.

Certainly looks the part but for those with iPods there's one called glucose buddy. Does much of the same thing but without the carb list. An option at least. Until it's made compatible or you can afford an iPhone4!

Top work though. Ta!

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
45 posts

It works on my ipod touch.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

yes, all apps work on iphone, ipod touch and ipad ( for the truly lucky). We also hope to do a version that runs on other phones in the future but there is still a lot of work to do on this, so no timescales as yet.

28 posts

Perhaps it's an older version of ipod I have. Tells me I need iphone 4 software...

Can't win 'em all. Ta anyway!!!

28 posts

I'm glad - if a little embarrassed - to say my 10 year old cousin sorted it out for me. Works a treat now!

28 posts

Sorry for the multiple posts but can't see an edit button.

As I say the app works great now but one thing I would suggest is that the times of day could be listed in chronological order rather than alphabetical order. Also the order of entry, as we spoke about on the paper version could have the BG and CP swapped about as the BG is the 1st thing you usually do. It's probably me being a bit dense again but I always enter them in the wrong box!

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
11 posts

I am enjoying the app loads Simon, thank you for all the work. I believe one of the DAFNE principles is to decide what's for dinner before worrying about your sugar level. That is to say that the decision about carbs comes before the decision about any corrections. This is why CP's comes before BG, even if we all do actually check our sugars 1st.
Can I suggest:
- a keypad entry for BG and CPs as an option instead of the scroll wheels?
- Because I have found myself using a calculator alongside the app, a CP calculator function within the app would be great. If you press "CP" and see a calculator style screen that has the option of either typing in CPs or even more usefully, typing "Carbohydrate per 100g" (as printed on a packet) and "grams I'm actually eating". To then add to a "Carb Totaliser" for the meal and 'Save' the total CPs once done.
- Some reporting functionality within the app, similar to the online reports. Can we have reporting on insulin doses as well as BGs? Perhaps "Average Total Daily Dose" over the past 14 or 28 days would be good for sick day calculations. Also a report on the number of corrective doses needed and when could really help fine tune the previous meal's ratio. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN SIMON. Dr Jez McCole

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Thunderbolt - Glad you got it sorted in the end. I only built the app with support for IPhone OS Version 4 (the latest) but it should work in OS 3 and later, so with the next update I'll add in support for OS version 3. (OS = Operating System for those who don't know).

On Dr. Jez's response - the DAFNE paper diary has CP, BQ, QA then BI so I wanted to keep entry consistent with that.

Dr. Jez - All good ideas and I'll put them on the to-do list. The BG diary improvements should make it into the next update, which I'm working on now. I'm holding off on the CP ones for a bit until DAFNE Central let us know whether we can use the DAFNE Carbs list in the app or not.

One point on the entry of information - if the app uses a keyboard rather than the picker wheels which are in there at the moment we can only use apple's standard keyboards. The one I'd suggest for entering BG, CP etc would be the Numbers and Punctuation one, as we need the plus and minus keys available to show correction doses. To see what this looks like, open up a text message and press the 123 button in the bottom left of the keyboard. If this sounds OK, then let me know.

Dr Jez McCole DAFNE Graduate
11 posts

Excellent plans Simon. Thanks again.
I think the idea of having clear + and - functions on both BG and CP entries is important and so the scroll wheels are better as they prompt you to do this. I agree with the paper diary issue. I remember asking exactly the same question as Thunderbolt on my DAFNE course in terms of the BG / CP order and understanding then that it really is what we're choosing to eat that should be the first priority, not what the BG is at the time.
Looking forward to developments and continuing to use.
Jez