Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Sarah, Thanks but I find it very strange given that there's a section in their help guide specifically about the subscription: http://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/help/subscription.html

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

From what I've been told by Abbot about ordering, they have been well over subscribed and are struggling to produce enough sensors, I wanted to buy 4 so I knew I had plenty and cut down on carriage/waiting in, website only lets you order 2 and won't let you order another 2 for 14 days. This supply issue might be why people are having issues ordering?

As for the device, I have had a few teething problems, but I love it, I work in IT so am a techie numbers guy and love allows knowing (although not overly accurate) where my BG is, I don't care about the software or the accuracy, its a general number, am I 4 going down or 15 going up?

2 years ago my HbA1c was 12% recently with effort I have got this to 7.9%, even with Xmas in between (always an issue BG wise) my latest was 6.8% Very Happy

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Is anyone actually getting any sensors from Abbot on subscription, their website continues with its usual high standards Evil or Very Mad
On a related note are you paying full price ? or without the VAT as you should be, obviously the link on the Abbot site doesn't work and they don't make it clear but as Type 1 diabetics you DO NOT pay VAT on the sensors since they are specific to your condition and you do not pay VAT on any Diabetes equipment. Their FAQ says the price DOES include VAT and therefore you can be exempt from this. In theory they should ask for evidence of your diabetes but I wouldn't be shocked to find they don't. I would be interested if anyone has
tried to get the VAT back and obviously if the subscription actually works. I have not signed up for it as yet since so many people were indicating they were not producing enough sensors.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

As far as I can see there is no subscription available, they have probably thought it may be a good idea for the future but won't get round to doing it. Regarding VAT during the checkout process you tick a box to certify that you are VAT exempt for the sensors and it is automatically taken off. Although the sensor limit is 2 per order I must say delivery has been pretty fast when I do order them.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

marke said:
Day 9:
Not a lot to add apart from Abbott have no responded to emails and so I am asking them a load of detailed questions, if you have any
questions let me know and I will add them to my list. I will update people as and when I get answers. The results from the sensor today are a lot closer to my One Touch readings and are generally well within + or - 20%. The most interesting thing from the last few days is that the biggest spike in my BG is after breakfast in the mornings, perhaps I need to change the cereal I eat ? I will try and see what happens.

hi marke, I have found your use of the sensor very informative. There are no sensors on the market yet in Australia so your trial is worthwhile as a precursor of what's to come.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

marke said:
Day 9:
Not a lot to add apart from Abbott have no responded to emails and so I am asking them a load of detailed questions, if you have any
questions let me know and I will add them to my list. I will update people as and when I get answers. The results from the sensor today are a lot closer to my One Touch readings and are generally well within + or - 20%. The most interesting thing from the last few days is that the biggest spike in my BG is after breakfast in the mornings, perhaps I need to change the cereal I eat ? I will try and see what happens.

hi marke, I have found your use of the sensor very informative. There are no sensors on the market yet in Australia so your trial is worthwhile as a precursor of what's to come.

sarahg DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
29 posts

Hi guys , iam still ordering the 2 sensors at a time as the subscription is still not up and running
Has anyone found there arms are getting a bit sore now after using these for a few months now?
I have found that my arms appear to be a little sore now and have had a bit of a break for a few days while on holiday , but back on the sensor now. I think this kit is still great but a little worried about the bruises and soreness iam getting.

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
16 posts

Thanks all who have been sharing their experiences with this. I don't know what planet I've been on but I have only just heard about this machine. It sounded too good to be true so I checked out the website this week. You still can't order one if you are a new customer so I rang Abbott. They said demand had been higher than expected and they want to ensure they can produce enough sensors to meet the demand of existing customers. It should be available to new customers soon - they didn't give a time frame. Enter your email address on the website and they will advise you when you can buy one.
The cost will of course be prohibitive to many which seems very unfair. I thought I might ask my employer if they would contribute, I am sure I could convince them that it would be in their interest as well as mine! The biggest advantage I can see with this system is not having to do all those finger pricks each day - bliss!!
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I am sure I read in the very small print on the website that you must take a reading at least every eight hours. I have been know to sleep for longer than this so what happens if there is a gap of more than 8 hours between readings?
Also, I swim once a week - I know the sensors are fine in the shower and bath but has anyone had any experience of what happens in the swimming pool?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi,
With regards to the 8 hour limit, the sensor that sits on your arm can only hold 8 hours of data, so if you don't swipe it with the reader for longer than 8 hours the oldest readings a lost i.e those just before or just after you went to sleep. This wasn't a big issue for me since generally my readings are usually stable just before I go to bed. With regards to swimming, I would have to see if anyone else has an answer. I showered every day with it on and never had an issue but I didn't go swimming. My guess is if it is properly fixed and you can tell it is, then it should be ok. It would be interesting to hear first hand experience though Wink

Tom_Sparrow
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Frazer said:
Thanks all who have been sharing their experiences with this. I don't know what planet I've been on but I have only just heard about this machine. It sounded too good to be true so I checked out the website this week. You still can't order one if you are a new customer so I rang Abbott. They said demand had been higher than expected and they want to ensure they can produce enough sensors to meet the demand of existing customers. It should be available to new customers soon - they didn't give a time frame. Enter your email address on the website and they will advise you when you can buy one.
The cost will of course be prohibitive to many which seems very unfair. I thought I might ask my employer if they would contribute, I am sure I could convince them that it would be in their interest as well as mine! The biggest advantage I can see with this system is not having to do all those finger pricks each day - bliss!!
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I am sure I read in the very small print on the website that you must take a reading at least every eight hours. I have been know to sleep for longer than this so what happens if there is a gap of more than 8 hours between readings?
Also, I swim once a week - I know the sensors are fine in the shower and bath but has anyone had any experience of what happens in the swimming pool?

Hi Frazer,

I just thought I'd let you know that I was having the same issues as you regarding the purchase of this new machine. However, I got an e-mail from Abbott a few days ago to say that they were ready to purchase (if you entered your details into their system as you mentioned) - and I actually received my new kit yesterday! Very Happy

However, they stated in the e-mail that demand was still exceptionally high so they were advocating that all new customers try to purchase the kit this week otherwise they may have to wait a while again, so you may want to try purchasing it again to see if you have any luck.

Fingers crossed that you are able to purchase one. I am only just trying out mine now but all good so far!

Thanks,
Tom