Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

stephenbrowne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
37 posts

Hi Tom,
I suppose it must be about a month ago that I ordered my starter pack online and had to give Abbott my details of course. This gives you an "account". The starter pack lasts for 28 days and I will come to the end of this by next Monday 24 Nov. I managed to order another couple of sensors and will be able to start this next Monday. I have used Freestyle Lite blood glucose testing sticks before and still use their beta ketone testing sticks for which I can now use the Freestyle libre scanner/blood testing meter. However I'm still checking pre-meal sugars with Bayer Contour Next strips and meter as this "talks" to my Medtronic insulin pump by Wi-fi . Often the Freestyle libre result is the same or very close to the Contour Next finger prick result though if there have been rapid changes in blood sugar there may be perhaps 1 mmol/l difference - I'm so sensitive to insulin doses that I try to be as accurate as possible to get the insulin bolus right. The Freestyle libre has certainly helped me to anticipate and correct hypos in advance.
I do hope you are able to make some headway in your attempt to obtain a starter pack before Christmas.
Best wishes,
Stephen

sarahg DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
29 posts

Hi guys I did manage to make an order today, but not for the year subscription, as not set up as yet. .however I was asked if I was already using the kit and a existing customer. It appears that new customers may have to wait. Which is a real shame for everyone wanting to try the super bit of kit. Hope the guys a Abbotts can sort supply out for everyone real soon

Tom_Sparrow
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Hi Sarah,

Yes this is what I presumed. I actually received an email from Abbott the other day to explain that their current production levels haven't been able to meet the high demand for the Freestyle Libre, so it looks like it'll be in the new year before I can start trying it out Sad

Stephen - it seems like I was a month too late in ordering my test pack! Hopefully I will be able to start in the new year Smile

khy70 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Hi, I recently trialled the Libre. Brilliant, confidence inspiring price of kit. However...the sensor started reading 'lo' after 5 days when I knew I wasn't. It had become detached slightly and had lost contact. I had been exercising my arms (lifting weights) which had been enough to loosen it. At the moment for me the sensors are way too expensive if they can't stay on through normal activity.

khy70 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Hi, I recently trialled the Libre. Brilliant, confidence inspiring price of kit. However...the sensor started reading 'lo' after 5 days when I knew I wasn't. It had become detached slightly and had lost contact. I had been exercising my arms (lifting weights) which had been enough to loosen it. At the moment for me the sensors are way too expensive if they can't stay on through normal activity.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

I've had my first sensor fall off after a couple of days, I went out on the bike and got very sweaty, when I took my top off it slid off, the second sensor just wouldn't seem to attach.

I called Abbott, they were very good and apologetic, got both replaced, after a conversation it was suggested I shave the area (I am quite hairy) to give a better grip.

My first replacement sensor lasted the 14 days after shaving the area (not sure this helped?), speaking to the people at the hospital they suggested some clinical glues that pumpers use, I am now on the second replacement and have not needed the glue.

Not sure what happened with the first couple (early teething probs?), but the second 2 have stuck well and I like the graphs it gives, I am currently having night time hypos and this is sooo much easier than night time 2/3 am checks Very Happy

stephenbrowne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
37 posts

Hi folks,
I found that one's skin has to be absolutely dry and grease free in order for the sensor to stick. After cleaning the skin you have to wait for it to dry out completely in order for it to stick. My DSN suggested I might find " Cavilon No Sting Barrier" wipes a help to clean the skin as they leave the skin with a powerful glue coating which helps secure sticking. However I have managed ok since ensuring the skin was absolutely dry and grease free.

hld1904 DAFNE Graduate
South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
5 posts

Peter said:
Mark, I remain convinced that you are testing equipment which will be standard in a few years time. It's as big a change as the move from urine testing to blood glucose monitoring and as such it will take time for the cost to reduce, for the technology to improve and for the likes of the DVLA to "accept" the readings. On the latter point, when I get one (no if in this sentence) then I will not be testing with a monitor before driving and will be happy to argue the case with the DVLA. In my opinion its clear that knowledge of the rate and direction of change in BG gives far more useful information than a slightly more accurate single reading with no information about direction of change.

Anyway, please continue with the updates, even though they're making me jealous javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

In terms of questions, do Abbott give any advice on injecting in the same arm as the sensor is attached?

Hi Peter, at my DAFNE refresher we were told that it is now recommended to NOT inject in the arm. They are saying to use stomach, thighs and bum. Might be worth checking with your DAFNE rep.

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I don't suppose anyone has gone through airport security with a Libre yet??

I was having a general conversation about airports with someone and suddenly wondered what they would make of the sensor?!

If nobody else reports before August I shall find out myself :-)

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

I expect with a GP letter airports should be fine, I'm not a pumper, but I assume they let pumps through Very Happy