Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Warwick, Just had a look and Dexcom G4 CGM is available in the UK. Starter pack is advertised at £1325 including 4 sensors. Spare sensors come in packs of 4 for £250. That makes it twice the cost of the Libre even assuming that the Dexcom sensor lasts 21 days as you report.

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
16 posts

suec - re your comments about early morning results being way out I have found the same thing. 7am this morning Libre said 2.8 Accu-check mobile said 8.1. Similar difference yesterday morning, Libre 6.9 Accu-check mobile 12.9. The Libre seems to catch up an hour later. I spoke to Abbotts and they can't really explain it but they are sending some test strips to use with the Libre to compare the sensor v's a BG test using the same machine. This is my first sensor which runs out in 2 days time so will be interesting to see if the issue continues with a different sensor.
On the swimming front I tried a few days ago with no problems. I swam for longer than 30 mins (the time limit recommended by Abbott), I dried the sensor with a towel every now and then and it worked fine. Abbott have confirmed that the sensor must be dried every 30 mins, just lifting your arm out of the water is not sufficient.

stephenbrowne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
37 posts

I've also occasionally found after fitting a new sensor that the readings linger in the hypoglycaemic range for several hours even though the Contour Next finger prick readings are up to 7 or 8. This appears to be particularly so if I have failed to get up early enough when a change is due and I am unable to trace several hours on the old sensor. Not sure why this should be the case and I'm unable to think of a scientific reason. Often there is no problem. I was hoping to see a webinar on the Freestyle website.

Colin McC DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
15 posts

Seriously thinking of getting the Libre & this forum has helped me decide. I realise the pros & cons but one question - so the sensor lasts 14 days but how many times can you test during that period?

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Hi cmcc
You can test as often as you want. The sensor is time limited to 14 days but there is no restriction on how often you use it.
I think it updates every 15 minutes - so 96 times a day I guess!

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

From the Libre website:

2. How frequently does the sensor capture and store glucose readings?
The sensor automatically measures glucose levels every minute and stores readings at 15 minute intervals for 8 hours. When the sensor is scanned by the reader, the sensor automatically transmits 8 hours of data to the reader.

So when you scan it you get the reading for the last minute, but the reader stores data points 15 minutes apart.

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I was scanning every few minutes when I first put it on but the novelty has worn off now - it's so good to know you can just get a result whenever you feel like it though. I've even scanned and then forgotten the result when I've gone to write it down so just scanned again as it's easier than going into the log Laughing

I accidentally knocked my sensor off yesterday and my next order hasn't arrived yet so I'm back to pricking for a couple of days - It feels really weird! I intended to only use one sensor every couple of months to keep the costs down but once I got it I was hooked - be warned Laughing

ps. they're not easy to knock off! it was a very accurate scrape of my arm against a table edge!! Shocked

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Anyone else having problems downloading the software from the website? I have Windows 7 and all the other stuff it says you need.
I know the reader should be connected to the laptop but all I get is a hand that flashes - I assume this means there is a problem.
I spoke to Abbott and they suggested right clicking and downloading as 'administrator' but that option doesn't appear when I right click.
Probably something very obvious as I am no great shakes on technology but I can't see what I'm doing wrong Rolling Eyes

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Anyone else having issues with Abbot not being able to produce/deliver sensors.

I think they are a victim of their own success, I don't think they can keep up with demand. Who would have thought a cheap alternative CGM for T1 diabetics would be popular?

I am out of sensors, keen cyclist and feel lost without it on rides now!

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Yes - ordered last Monday and they say will be delivered end of next week.