Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Day 14: 20 hours left until shutdown Crying or Very sad

News today is a managed to get some questions answered by Abbott ! Some were not very useful and I have questioned the answers so won't bore you with them. One interesting point is the response to why the sensor only lasts 14 days, the answer is:
Among the reasons that the sensor life is 14 days is the reaction of the skin, both to the adhesive, and the presence of a foreign object (the fibre). Also, the enzymes in the sensor cannot continue to work indefinitely. Since the size and weight of the sensor had limitations to make it as discreet as possible, the battery had to be sized accordingly. The sensor life is not directly related to the number of readings it can hold, as readings older than 8 hours are overwritten.
Not convinced by the first part otherwise you would only be able to wear one for two weeks, so why sell a continuous supply ? But anyway an answer. The question of can it be worn in other places I can answer, no, they have only done testing with the sensor on the upper arm so their data is only for this area. If you attach it somewhere else then the readings cannot be gauranteed to be accurate.
SimonC thanks for your full write up as well, all useful info.
Final how did we get them to try ? luck, pure and simple Very Happy

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Thanks, you can call me Simon F though Very Happy

I'm pleased to see that Abbot have now fixed the VAT removal on their website; when you add an item to the basket and specify that you are eligible for VAT relief then the price will be the VAT excluded one. They also seem to have realised that £10 for delivery was a bit steep and this is now reduced to £5. Still nothing on subscriptions though.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Day 15:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Abbott Sensors reading off the shoulder of my arm. I watched BG's glitter in the dark near the DAFNE targets. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. (if you don't understand this quote, you have missed a great film !!)
So no more sensor, between you and me being a techie once I had removed it from my arm I pulled it apart to see what was inside. Basically a battery and a single device on a round circuit-board. The thing that goes in your arm clips into the sensor with three contacts onto the circuit-board. Interestingly the 'pin' in my arm when removed was soft like a hair, it must have a coating that disolves over the 14 days. So do you really need to dispose of it in a sharps bin ? Worst case you can inclip the 'pin' which is small and put that into a sharps bin.
I dumped all the data into csv file and examined it, very interesting. It looks like when you scan yourself it takes a reading there and then since these have a different 'type' id than the 15 min ones and are not in time sync with the other readings. Whats even more interesting is these readings don't seem to be consistent with the regular 15 min readings i,e a reading 1 minute before is 0.8 different to one a minute later. More investigation needed I think Very Happy

JamesW DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
24 posts

An apt quote.

So, do you miss the convenience? The "dissolving" pin is an interesting facet that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere.

How confident would you feel about only using this device to monitor your levels? Pre-diagnosis you have no way of knowing/any interest in what your blood glucose levels are then all of a sudden you get handed a machine and some strips and told to deal with the numbers as they are presented. If you were put straight on to this device would you then doubt the test-strip approach if it was suggested? I suppose the best test would be over a period long enough to influence the HbA1c and see if the Flash meter's readings corresponded with the returned value.

Thanks for taking the time to write about it. Appreciated.

sarahg DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
29 posts

Hi marke ,I think this could kit have come directly out of Blade Runner, thanks for all your feedback on the kit, it has really helped me think how I will end up using the tech to help manage my testing , I think it will be great for the gym, and the night time checks, but keep to the traditional BG for driving, or where it is important, do you think the airports will be ok with it, not having a pump I wonder what security would think?
I am just waiting for my kit to come in the post hopefully not too long to I really can't to wait ! 😊😊😊

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

How confident am I to go solo with the device ? Not very if I'm honest but I have no definite basis for this, its probably that I am used to my meter and individual blood tests. I am still checking through all the data that the sensor generated and comparing it with my meter. There are often differences of between 15-20% which is inside the legal requirement but still make me uneasy. Of course I have no idea which device was closer to the real value of my BG, it could be either, more likely both are off the true value. Once I have got to the bottom of some of the weird variations I will report back on here and maybe others can do the same. I'm sure many will run both the sensor and their current meter for a while.
With regards to airport security, providing you have the reader/meter with you and can show them you scan the sensor its unlikely to be an issue. I have never had an issue in an airport with any of my diabetes kit so I don't think there will be an issues.
Its nice that I'm not the only one who gets the bladerunner reference and indeed this technology would fit right in with the technology in the film Very Happy

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Thanks marke and Simon. I have been an Abbott fan for a number of years and will have a look at this new technology.
I'm very disappointed by your feedback on Abbott support. Whenever I have had a problem with my current conventional Optium Xceed meters...their support, via helpful ladies on phone has been great.
Sounds like a bit of a rushed out set up for this.
Support would have to be first class for me to consider investing in the technology. I would not pay >£1300 pa without significant support. They need supply to pharmacists directly very quickly as I would not pay for delivery of sensors on an ongoing basis.
Regards
Garry

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

Thanks for starting this thread marke, it's great to have a detailed, honest review of the new technologies.

I'm definitely going to check it out as I'd love to know what goes on during the night.
I'm thinking I might just do a 14 day 'check up' every couple of months to see if my trends are the same, rather than wear it continuously - would hopefully give a lot of the benefit but without so much of the costs! Or use it for eg. holidays and illness where routine is out the window and the extra info useful.

If I go ahead I'll report back!

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, I think the check-up idea is what most of us will do who can't afford the running costs. I had to bite my tongue (yes I know, hard to believe) when I met up with the Abbott Rep and DSN last week to report to them on my experiences with the device. The DSN after saying that the NHS won't pay for it was trying to say that it sounds a lot but people spend more on their mobile phones etc each month. This is true but I have also paid into the NHS via taxes for more years than I care to mention so asking me to pay on top for a new device seemed a bit rich :-(
I pointed out that when other companies release similiar devices which they are bound to do, the price will get pushed down. I understand that Abbott and any company need to recoupe their costs for development etc, but eventually the price of the sensors must come down. In the meantime we will jsut have to use them intermittently.

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I think this device will be really useful for holidaying abroad - when you're in a different environment, eating different foods and doing different things. As I understand it, swimming in a pool won't affect the sensor either.