Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
16 posts

Oh yes, I remember the surgical spirit - and glass syringes with enormous needles - thank goodness we don't have those any more!
My box of free samples from Opus Health arrived yesterday but I haven't had the chance to see what's in there yet.
Thanks again for the advice Stephen.

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Ok - I have made it up the waiting list - after 6 months - which to be fair was what people in here said it would be, and have received my email saying I can order.

I will be ordering - as I like the idea of being able to see trends - as they happen, and be told whether my sugar levels are going up or down - as this makes a difference to the action taken and a single snap shot in time can't tell you this.

So - any more tips and advice, from those that are using I should be aware of. I'm not hugely active - apart from walking my dogs, but I do have to go through airport security every day, has anyone had any issues with this yet.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

SimonC said:
Ok - I have made it up the waiting list - after 6 months - which to be fair was what people in here said it would be, and have received my email saying I can order.

I will be ordering - as I like the idea of being able to see trends - as they happen, and be told whether my sugar levels are going up or down - as this makes a difference to the action taken and a single snap shot in time can't tell you this.

So - any more tips and advice, from those that are using I should be aware of. I'm not hugely active - apart from walking my dogs, but I do have to go through airport security every day, has anyone had any issues with this yet.

Simon, you will love having trend info, I have found it not to be 100% accurate, often about 1 mmol lower than blood, but like you said this makes no dif to me, its the is going up or down, should I eat or inject type info.

I have in the past had supply issues and been a few weeks without sensors, felt lost without it now.

It must be saving the NHS a fortune as I only test about 3 times a day now instead of 10+

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Simon, you will love having trend info, I have found it not to be 100% accurate, often about 1 mmol lower than blood, but like you said this makes no dif to me, its the is going up or down, should I eat or inject type info.

I have in the past had supply issues and been a few weeks without sensors, felt lost without it now.

It must be saving the NHS a fortune as I only test about 3 times a day now instead of 10+

Cheers Phil - looking forward to the trends - esp over night.

194 posts

Simon,

Hope you find it useful, it was quite sad when I first ordered how excited I was to get a BG meter! When you put a new sensor on for the maths to be able to average out a reading you can't get anything for 60 mins, this seems like a lifetime Very Happy

I have found that some sensors are more accurate than others, annoyingly the one I'm wearing now is about 2 mmol lower, so reckons I'm hypo when I'm 4 or 5. But other sensors have been spot on to 0.1 mmol. I suppose it also depends how accurate my Accu-Chek Mobile is as this was dif from OneTouch.

Its the over night trends that has helped my HbA1c (was going hypo and liver kicking out sugar so spiking), since getting Libre HbA1c gone from 7.9 ish to 6.6 (sorry, still work in old money) and gone low carb now so hoping for sub 6 next time.

Hope you get it before Xmas, nice pressie, all the party food will be good fun watching the graph bounce around Very Happy

Phil

194 posts

Anyone else found this?

I hope this is just the current sensor, but its reading 3.8, I don't feel hypo so did BG test, 5.5, never had it this far out before. I would possibly scrap this sensor, but its a) got 7 days left (£25) b) my new ones haven't arrived yet.

Just wondering, been using it for over a year now, is it a problem with the siting of the sensor, skin hardening or something?

If it is this far out for the next 7 days I am going to complain to Abbott, bit worried as I like the Libre, naughty but I have come to rely on it over BG tests alot, if its not accurate I don't know that I can trust it any more.

Phil

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I'm obviously tempted by these Libre kits - how much do they cost initially and then how much do the sensors cost?

stephenbrowne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
37 posts

Hi Alan and Phil,
I note than the combined Freestyle starter kit of a reader plus 2 sensors is currently unavailable at £160 but it is possible to order a reader (scanner) for £58 and a pack of 2 sensors which will last for a total of 28 days for £56. One can apply for VAT exemption with type 1 diabetes. I find that the monthly price including postage with VAT exemption works out at about £102 .Despite the price I have found it such a help that it has been worth it for me..
I have sometimes found wild discrepancy between the sensor readings e.g persistent readings suggesting hypos when I have felt fine and finger prick test results have been well within normal range. This has sometimes occurred towards the end of a 2 week session on a sensor and occasionally inthe first 12 hours of a new sensor. Usually there is a good correlation between the interstitial tissue sugar level and capillary blood sugar. Sometimes the sensor readings have been exactly the same, sometimes up to 1 mmol/l above or below the finger prick reading. The discrepancies may be more after vigorous exercise. Of course, there is a 10-15 minute delay between stabilisation of tssue a blood sugar levels and this has an effect. If the reader gives a peculiar unexpected result I generally check a finger prick result..My priciple with any medical measurement or device is "If the result does not fit with how you feel or is unexpected , be suspicious and sceptical and seek alternative confirmation!"

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

With regards to cost - I have just placed my first order for my reader and 2 sensors - the total - with the VAT relief taken off and the delivery added on was £138 - looking at the bill, the sensors on their own was £96.58 - for 2, so each one is £48.29.

I don't know if the price will change on re ordering, but this fits in with what stephenbrowne has said.

Yelekreb DAFNE Graduate
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
11 posts

I'm 5 days into my first Freestyle Libre sensor. First 18 hours - horribly inaccurate. Now pretty good. Does lag a bit (and measures differently to finger sticking), but really helpful in understanding trends. Its expensive, but very helpful!