Feedback from Android beta testing

83 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Doc_46 3 posts

Simon said:
Dear beta testers,

Feel free to use this post to ask questions on the app, suggest new features and highlight any problems.

Happy testing!

Simon

Hi All,

Just downloaded the App last night and I'm really happy with it. The food group info is going to be
a major bonus for me.
I v'e just been playing around with the app really and I'm impressed with its responsiveness and how smooth
it runs compared to other apps I have on my budget LG GT540 Andriod phone.
I'll leave the nitty gritty in the capable hands of Keith and Novorapidboi26 etc...I'd be quite
happy with a message that recommends an adjustment when your BG level falls outside your set target.
So Far So Good though. Thanks a million.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Glad to see there's been some constructive discussion on this already. Thanks to Keith for all of his efforts so far, and our beta testers for their efforts in providing speedy feedback.

On the correction dosage calculation, the DAFNE guidelines state that 1 extra IU will bring down your BG by 2-3 mmol/l, which is quite a large range, and could mean the difference between having a hypo or not. As app developer I didn't want to set myself up as a target for any legal action in case the app was seen to be giving medical advice which then caused somebody to have a hypo.

That said, after reviewing this discussion I think that if we implemented smethingsimilar to novorapidvoi's patient 1 and 2 examples above, then it will lessen the risk of legal action as the users are still choosing the numbers themselves. I'll investigate the iPhone app and see how easy it would be to do.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

KeithCl said:
I propose these changes:

1. If in "Auto-Calculate QA" mode, update the QA value if either the CP value or the QA:CP value changes.
2. If the Type field is changed, always update the QA:CP field to the value stored in Targets.
3. Distinguish visually between a manually entered QA or QA:CP value and an automatically populated one (using italics for the latter) to provide a visual hint on what is going on.
4. Fix the bug identified earlier where a CP of 6+2 is only counted as 6 in the "Auto-Calculate QA" mode rather than as 8.
5. Fix the bug where when editing an existing entry the QA:CP ratio was always being set to the default (from the Targets) not the previously saved value.

The beta download has been updated (in fact a little over a day ago) to version 1.1.r255 BETA that has the above changes/fixes in it. If you installed before then please repeat the installation process - your existing data and settings will be preserved. If you are unsure of the version you have you can check the version number by scrolling to the end of the Settings.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

Just downloaded the latest version. The autocalc still seems to ignore any correction. The other changes seem fine. Still think CP should cope with 1/10 units. Its illogical that BG is to 1 decimal place whilst CP are in whole numbers when 1CP = circa 2.5 BG. Some insulin pens now do .5 units.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:
Just downloaded the latest version. The autocalc still seems to ignore any correction.

The autocalc on the edit page works by applying the displayed QA:CP ratio to the CP value as it is typed in and putting the result in the QA field. The bug I fixed was that corrections to the CP value were not being counted so a CP of 6+2 was being counted as 6 not 8. That fix is working for me.

Please describe in more detail what is not working for you.

I'll fix the decimal place problem in the next beta version by also allowing 1 decimal place for the CP, QA and BI fields. My mistake - didn't realise that the diary on this site allows decimals for those values.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
22 posts

Tergets left as default. ratio 1:1
add entry - before breakfast BG 12 CP 5 Autocalc is 5 - I would have expected 5 + 2 = 7
add entry - before lunch BG17 CP 5 Autocalc is 5
settings shows version 1.1.r255 BETA

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:
Tergets left as default. ratio 1:1
add entry - before breakfast BG 12 CP 5 Autocalc is 5 - I would have expected 5 + 2 = 7
add entry - before lunch BG17 CP 5 Autocalc is 5
settings shows version 1.1.r255 BETA

Ok I see. Yes that is not implemented and is also not present in the iPhone version.

See Simon's most recent comment: if we can agree how it should work then it is a candidate to add in the future.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
22 posts

A cosmetic suggestion:
add entry opens the posting screen for BG CP QA and BI (shouldn't BG come first)
I love having all this on one screen - saves time entering data. I check BG pre meal and keep the screen active untill I record CP and QA.
If you need to look up CP's for a type of food I am forced to save, look up the food type and then edit the entry to continue posting.
Would it be possible to have a shortcut to foodgroups or alphabetic on the data entry screen so that once you have looked up the food item you can continue with the posting.

With regards to Simons post - add data fields(for each mealtime/incident) for ratio CP:BG default 1:2.5 QA:BG default 1:2.5.

Headspace DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
9 posts

Some feedback from me (using Galaxy S2, with android 2.3.3). Firstly, an excellent app, and thanks for cracking on with developing it.

1. Overall look and feel are great. Clean and vibrant.

2. Forced close on editting entries - this was very early on and seems to have sorted itself out.

3. Stalls a little when saving after adding/additng entry, particualrly when in areas of low connectivity.

4. Choice of pre-defined ratios is welcome, once I'd read Geofftrez's comments about altering these in settings. Perhaps this could be made clearer - I had two or three days when I was manually changing ratios from the default 1:1 every time. Also, unsure why there's a default ration in categories before and after exercise, hypoglycaemia, driving, BI etc. Happy to be challenged on this though.

5. On entry, the first box I go to is BG. Can we have BG as the fist box on entries rather than CP? Or is this a requirement for Dafne consistency?

6. The ability to put a decimal point in the CP box would be helpful. Somebody's already made this point I think.

7. In entries, the current day is listed at the top (which is a marked improvement on the online BG diary). However, the following day is also in descending order which makes going from one to the other not as easy as it might be if they were all in descending order. Others may have a view on this though.

Some comments on food listings
8. Is it possible to have a 'user defined' list of foods/meals please? For those of us who cook at home in large batches, it would be helpful to have the ability to add 'portion of shephers pie' or similar, especially once we've managed to work out roughly how many CPs are in it.

9. Is there a possibility of memorising a previously entered comment. Eg, i'm having to enter Toast in the morning for breakfast, whereas if I access the online BG diary via android, it recognises previous entries in that field and as soon as 'T' is keyed in, Toast is one of the options. just a cosmetic thing really.

10. Agree with Geofftrez's cosmetic suggestion for shortcut to food listings. Really helpful.

11. Jacket postato is listed in the foodlistings as 10 CPs by the way. Not sure who oversees this part of the system.

Suggestions
12. One issue that's been annoying me for a while. Sometimes when I administer BI I also need to adminsiter QA. However recording two separate injection sites in one entry appears to be impossible. Can we have two boxes, or is this going to be a case of having two entries for one blood test result.

13. Also, when I re-look at the list of tests in the Dafne online BG diary, I don't see all the entries for BI. Now that's probably because I haven't entered BI, but then do I need to enter BI just because its 22:30 (when i take my BI) when actually the rreason I'm testing is also because I fancy a snack or I'm hypo, so i record the test rationale accordingly - not as BI. Something to be worked through perhaps?

Anyway, a great start. Thanks for all the hard work.

Brian

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
22 posts

Another cosmetic suggestiion. When eating I open a notepad to add up individual CP values. This could be built into the data entry CP data box. If it had the option to add up say 8 figures and post the total into the CP field.