Feedback from Android beta testing

83 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

Headspace said:
3. Stalls a little when saving after adding/additng entry, particualrly when in areas of low connectivity.

I would recommend going to settings and unchecking diary upload - Its amazing how often we have poor conectivity. You can then do a manual upload when you know you have a good connection.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:
Another cosmetic suggestiion. When eating I open a notepad to add up individual CP values. This could be built into the data entry CP data box. If it had the option to add up say 8 figures and post the total into the CP field.

If you do a long touch on the CP field on my phone you get offered a menu where you can choose a different input method (soft keyboard); perhaps that is where a simple adder dialog could be launched from.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Headspace said:

5. On entry, the first box I go to is BG. Can we have BG as the fist box on entries rather than CP? Or is this a requirement for Dafne consistency?
6. The ability to put a decimal point in the CP box would be helpful. Somebody's already made this point I think.
8. Is it possible to have a 'user defined' list of foods/meals please? For those of us who cook at home in large batches, it would be helpful to have the ability to add 'portion of shephers pie' or similar, especially once we've managed to work out roughly how many CPs are in it.
9. Is there a possibility of memorising a previously entered comment. Eg, i'm having to enter Toast in the morning for breakfast, whereas if I access the online BG diary via android, it recognises previous entries in that field and as soon as 'T' is keyed in, Toast is one of the options. just a cosmetic thing really.
10. Agree with Geofftrez's cosmetic suggestion for shortcut to food listings. Really helpful.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Quick responses to some of the points:

5. Yes CP first is taken from standard DAFNE diaries etc. As you have to touch to edit anyway does the order really matter?
6. Yes needs fixing; will be in next beta version.
8. I see that that feature has just been added to the iPhone app; a candidate feature for Android in the future too.
9. Certainly a possibility but not for the first release.
10. Perhaps a hyperlink on the "CP" heading; if its quick to do I'll add it in the next beta version.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

KeithC1 said:
If you do a long touch on the CP field on my phone you get offered a menu where you can choose a different input method (soft keyboard); perhaps that is where a simple adder dialog could be launched from.
Agreed
Headspace said:
10. Agree with Geofftrez's cosmetic suggestion for shortcut to food listings. Really helpful.
I have just noticed that on the Samsung Galaxy the phones options key shortcuts to the previos menu including foodgroups - so this option is already available on my phone.

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
19 posts

Hi Keith and Simon,,

I've emailed this but I'll also post to the forum so others can make use of the information if need be.

I've been using the app (along side OnTrack) since lunchtime 24/08/2011 (about 5 days) and below are the things that I have noted while testing the app.

Phone: HTC Desire A8181
Android version: 2.2
Beta version: 1.0.r251 BETA

Bugs
Bug #1 - Incorrect blood glucose averages
Reproduce: Create a new diary entry without a BG value (for example when injecting BI only - which is not BG dependent), the BG averages calculation takes that as a 0.0mmol/l reading and skews the result. (It also appears that the web site also does the averaging incorrectly but differently inccorrectly)

Bug #2 - Auto Calculate QA overwrites entries on editing diary entries
Reproduce: Have Auto Calculate QA selected and edit a diary entry which contains a correction (i.e. 6+1), the QA value is overwritten and the correction value in the QA field is lost.

Bug #3 - The diary entry type is not always loaded properly on editing diary entries
Reproduce: Have a diary entry type "Hypoglycemia" (at 17:27) and then edit it later, the entry type shows as "Before Dinner"

Bug #4 - Changing the diary entry type doesn't update the QA:CP ratio value when adding an entry
Reproduce: Create a new diary entry and change the type to one with a different QA:CP ratio value, the ratio is not changed. This is especially bad when Auto Calculate QA is selected.

Bug #5 - Manually uploading entries failed
Reproduce: With auto-upload disabled, create 2 days worth of entries in an empty database (i.e. there are only 2 days of entries). From the Entries page, upload "last week" produces
"Sorry! The application DAFNE Online (process dafneonline.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
Further information: I got manual uploading to work after enabling auto upload, entering a new diary entry (which was uploaded), then disabling auto upload

Bug #6 - DAFNE online credentials password is viewable in plain text
Reproduce: Enter the credentials in the Settings page, the password appears as "*********", then select the password field again and the password is visible in plain text in the entry box

Bug #7 - Dimmed icons on the main screen
Reproduce: From the main screen, select "Food Groups", then select "Home" from the menu, select "Entries" from the main screen, then select "Home" from the menu. Both "Food Groups" and "Entries" icons are dimed. Keep pressing back until you quit the app. Run the app again and the two icons are still dimmed.

Bug #8 - Manual upload fails at various times
Reproduce: I don't have a method to reproduce this on demand. I have had messages informing me that my credentails are wrong (Sorry I didn't write the message down). I guess this could easily have been a fault at the dafneonline.co.uk end of the connection.

Features hard to use
Issue #1 - The purpose of the correctional diary entry type is not clear

Suggestions
Suggestion #1 - Some form of user manual (especially a link to the user manual in the application).
Suggestion #2 - A way to add food to the database

Regards, John

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

John Syer said:

John,

Thanks for this - detailed and helpful.

Bugs:

1. Yes there is no check for null values. I'll review the other aggregations too.
2. There are quite a few other comments about the Auto Calculate too - as you've noticed what is there is quite simple.
3. This is fixed in the "1.1.r255 BETA" version.
4. This is fixed in the "1.1.r255 BETA" version.
5. I'll do some more tests on this to try and get a sense of how reliable/unreliable it is.
6. I gave increasing the chances of correct entry priority over hiding the password having noted that http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/ sends passwords in the clear.
7. This is fixed in the "1.2.r261 BETA". This is the version you get if you install/upgrade now.
8. See 5.

Features hard to use:

1. Yeah I don't know what that is for either.

Suggestions:

1. I was assuming that a manual wouldn't be needed given that users will be pretty well versed in the ideas having done the DAFNE training. Are there specific things that need describing?
2. Yes the iPhone app is adding this and it will make its way into the Android app in a while.

Keith

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
19 posts

Hi Keith,

I've tried to upgrade my installation using the URL you provided in the original (revised URL) email and this is still the 1.0.r251 BETA version. How can I obtain the 1.2.r261 BETA version?

Regards, John

Headspace DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
9 posts

Keith, is there a function to do a manual upload? Over the last few days, auto upload hadn't been working (though access to the Dafne online site also appears to have been down so perhaps the two are connected). It up dated last night automatically, so theres no real issue now, but it could be a useful feature for those who don't have great connectivity or who want/need to upload every now and then.

Also, there have been a couple of references recently to newer versions of the beta. Should I be upgrading'

Headspace DAFNE Graduate
9 posts

Keith, is there a function to do a manual upload? Over the last few days, auto upload hadn't been working (though access to the Dafne online site also appears to have been down so perhaps the two are connected). It up dated last night automatically, so theres no real issue now, but it could be a useful feature for those who don't have great connectivity or who want/need to upload every now and then.

Also, there have been a couple of references recently to newer versions of the beta. Should I be upgrading'

Headspace DAFNE Graduate
9 posts