Feedback from Android beta testing

83 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:
The autocalc doesn't seem to take account of corrections.

Do you mean corrections to the CP value e.g. when the CP value is 6+2 only the 6 part is used? If so yes I regard that as a bug and will fix.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think he was meaning the corrections to the QA value, as a correction is additional units of insulin on top of the auto calc QA for the carbs..........

With a ratio of 1.5:1

bg 11.7
CP = 8
QA = 12

It should normally be displayed as QA = 12+correction

However the option to turn off auto calc is there so thats one way of avoiding missing out the correction dose...

Another possible function that could be added to the targets section that could help with the corrections and the auto calc function is to allow the user to input how much 1 unit of insulin drops them by. For best results, being able to change the time of day/and or the level of blood glucose would be best.

Example:

Patient 1:

0600 - 1200 = 1 unit drops 2.5mmol/l
1200 - 1800 = 1 unit drops 2.0mmol/l
1800 - 0600 = I unit drops 2.5mmol/l

Patient 2: [this is my case]

below 10mmol/l - 1 unit drops 2.5mmol/l
10-13mmol/l = 1 unit drops 2.0mmol/l
13.17mmol/l = 1 unit drops 1.5mmol/l
above 17mmol/l = 1 unit drops 1.0mmol/l

I would imagine this could be quite tricky to implement, however if it could be done, then the auto calc fucntion could consider both ratio and varying correction doses, and actually give a dose that could be used as a check/confirmation as well as for record purposes.....

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

Yes to the corrections.
As for the exercise option - I always do a rough mental calculation and then use the autocalc for a definative answer.

CP would benefit from a decimal place so that I could input say a CP figure of 6.6 (66 gm) and the number keypad being the same as for BG (as the decimal point is on the next page). Being insulin and exercise sensitive has probably made me more precise than the norm. The target QA:CP ratio doesn't seem to be carried over to the posting page and is therefore excuded from the autocalc. The ratio is hidden by the number pad unless you have already edited it.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
...the auto calc fucntion could consider both ratio and varying correction doses...

Your "Patient 1" example can be handled with the existing ratio mechanism (where the ratios are defined for different parts of the day in "Targets") right?

Your "Patient 2" example would not be too hard to add but again its functionality not present in the iPhone app or this web site and also perhaps strays int the tool replacing people's own decisions. Hopefully Simon and others will add their comments on this too.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:
...target QA:CP ratio doesn't seem to be carried over to the posting page and is therefore excuded from the autocalc.

Not sure what you mean here - please explain more. (The ratio comes from the Targets and can be edited and is used to calculate the QA. But yes the order that things are changed in matters which isn't great.)

Agreed the layout (ratio being hidden) is problematic.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree it may not be suited to everyone and therefore demand wont influence supply..............

It just seems as if there is an automated function, then why not let it work out more than just the Carb/Insulin calculation.......

My current meter, the freestyle insulinX does this, well, at least for Patient 1 anyway, so its not really much use in that sense for me, as I need to adjust my corrections manually........

PS........Apart from this mental idea of mine you have done a great job, no crashes, easy to use, does the job............well done..........

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
22 posts

Geofftrez said:
...target QA:CP ratio doesn't seem to be carried over to the posting page and is therefore excuded from the autocalc.

KeithC1 said:
Not sure what you mean here - please explain more. (The ratio comes from the Targets and can be edited and is used to calculate the QA. But yes the order that things are changed in matters which isn't great.)

If you set the target QA:CP ratio for dinner to 3:1 then go to add entry dinner - it still defaults to 1:1

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

Geofftrez said:

If you set the target QA:CP ratio for dinner to 3:1 then go to add entry dinner - it still defaults to 1:1

If I set the ratio in the Targets to 3:1 it is brought through into the add entry. But it isn't updated further if you then change the type, the problem being that the QA:CP field on the add entry can also be manually updated (but perhaps should be).

Please add a bit more detail on the problem you are seeing.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
22 posts

KeithC1 said:
If I set the ratio in the Targets to 3:1 it is brought through into the add entry. But it isn't updated further if you then change the type, the problem being that the QA:CP field on the add entry can also be manually updated (but perhaps should be).

The software seems to try and anticipate what meal it is. I have set breakfast and lunch ratios to 1:1, and dinner and bed to 3:1. If I go to add entry it defaults to pre dinner with a ratio of 3:1. If I change that to pre lunch it should default to the lunch ratio but doesnt - it stays at 3:1. ie as you said if you alter the type the QA:CP doesnt auto update.

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

I propose these changes:

1. If in "Auto-Calculate QA" mode, update the QA value if either the CP value or the QA:CP value changes.
2. If the Type field is changed, always update the QA:CP field to the value stored in Targets.
3. Distinguish visually between a manually entered QA or QA:CP value and an automatically populated one (using italics for the latter) to provide a visual hint on what is going on.
4. Fix the bug identified earlier where a CP of 6+2 is only counted as 6 in the "Auto-Calculate QA" mode rather than as 8.
5. Fix the bug where when editing an existing entry the QA:CP ratio was always being set to the default (from the Targets) not the previously saved value.