Blood Glucose in the morning

37 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Was 4.2 at dinner last night (7pm) and had 8cps so took aq 8-2. At 9pm i was BG 8.9 and then at bedtime four hours after my dinner (11pm) my BG was 7.6. I took a 3am BG and i was 9.0 then at 0640am i was 7.6. Fairly confused over the previous few nights but maybe it's my ratio at dinner that needs to be kept an eye on.

Louise1988 DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
69 posts

The fact that you were 7.6 when you went to bed, and when you woke up, suggests your basal is ok. As you say, maybe keep an eye on your readings 4hours after dinner. Maybe also a carb free test at 3am?

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Louise1988 said:
The fact that you were 7.6 when you went to bed, and when you woke up, suggests your basal is ok. As you say, maybe keep an eye on your readings 4hours after dinner. Maybe also a carb free test at 3am?

Carb free test at 3am as in no carbs for my dinner the previous night? Thanks.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Basically she means no carbs working during the night, so for most that would mean they could have dinner, just no supper.....

If you have your dinner at 7-8 pm,. your carbs and insulin should be expired by 11-12 pm........you would test at 11-12, then wake up at 3 am and test......

the 3 am test is purely because it the time of day when the body is at it lowest production of hormones and so will not effect the blood sugar reading, when it hits 4, 5, 6, people will normally see a rise due to the dawn phenomenon effect......which would mislead you when evaluating your overnight background dose...

Your background was OK the last time you checked was it not........?

Last nights 7.6, then 9.0, then 7.6 may be as a result of either some small amount of carbs still going, or a need for more BI insulin overnight........

as its within 1-2mmol/l I would assume the BI dose is OK......

Your dinner blood sugars are good also, you stayed in single figures and peaked at 8.9........

All these results are showing me that your doses are pretty much bang on.......

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Basically she means no carbs working during the night, so for most that would mean they could have dinner, just no supper.....

If you have your dinner at 7-8 pm,. your carbs and insulin should be expired by 11-12 pm........you would test at 11-12, then wake up at 3 am and test......

the 3 am test is purely because it the time of day when the body is at it lowest production of hormones and so will not effect the blood sugar reading, when it hits 4, 5, 6, people will normally see a rise due to the dawn phenomenon effect......which would mislead you when evaluating your overnight background dose...

Your background was OK the last time you checked was it not........?

Last nights 7.6, then 9.0, then 7.6 may be as a result of either some small amount of carbs still going, or a need for more BI insulin overnight........

as its within 1-2mmol/l I would assume the BI dose is OK......

Your dinner blood sugars are good also, you stayed in single figures and peaked at 8.9........

All these results are showing me that your doses are pretty much bang on.......

Thanks. I never really have supper at all so my last carbs would be 8pm or shortly afterwards. The early days of this week threw me a bit with the high BG in the mornings but last night seemed to work out ok.

If you had a late dinner say between 9pm - 10pm would you still take the BI when going to bed between 11pm-12 or would you wait the four hours and set the alarm to take the BI then? Sorry with all the questions.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

No need to apologize, this is the place to ask the questions........

You can take your BI whenever you like, its completely independent from your digestion and carb in take.....

Just take it every night before bed, which obviously could be at different times every day, as long as your getting a full 24 hours coverage with a small overlap your fine......

I took my AM BI at 6:45 am and my PM BI at 10:30 pm. I would have taken my PM BI later however I started to run out of my AM BI earlier than bed time so had to tweak in order to not have higher numbers at night but also to assist in dropping my waking levels......

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
No need to apologize, this is the place to ask the questions........

You can take your BI whenever you like, its completely independent from your digestion and carb in take.....

Just take it every night before bed, which obviously could be at different times every day, as long as your getting a full 24 hours coverage with a small overlap your fine......

I took my AM BI at 6:45 am and my PM BI at 10:30 pm. I would have taken my PM BI later however I started to run out of my AM BI earlier than bed time so had to tweak in order to not have higher numbers at night but also to assist in dropping my waking levels......

Ahh right thanks. Probably won't be eating until 10pm tonight and going to bed at 12 so was afraid of an overlap with the carbs only two hours in my system when taking my BI. Thanks again.