insulin

11 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

cargeo111 ca... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Hi do you cover milk with insulin in your cereal?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

you would only maybe be looking at 5g of carbs, depending on the milk amount, but no more than 10g [1unit] for it.......

but there are carbs in milk, so it should be counted, as part of a meal at least......

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Thank you , i had two weetabix with milk at 10.30 took 4 units still sitting at 13.4 Crying or Very sad

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

4 units sounds about right, and your insulin should be on the way out by now, if not completely expired.....

have the same again tomorrow, see what happens.......you may need a ratio change.....

do you inject before or after you have eaten....?

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

after my meal i was sitting at 11.2 before should have taking 1 for correction maybe Very Happy

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

cargeo111 carol b said:
Thank you , i had two weetabix with milk at 10.30 took 4 units still sitting at 13.4 Crying or Very sad

Hi
If you counted the 2 weetabix + the milk as 4CP and matched with 4QA that would be a ratio of 1:1
Your BG was 13.4
6 above my target of 7
Ie 2 units of QA
I would of changed the ratio to 1:1.5 giving you 6 units of QA
Which would bring you down to 6.4
Most type 1 usually have a higher ratio at breakfast
Of course this is only 1 test result,

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

11.2 before breakfast definitely needs a correction.........

say your target is 5.5mmol/l and your correction factor is 2.5mmol for every unit......

you want to come down 5.7mmol, therefore 5.7/2.5 = 2.3 units of correction, so 2 units......

which ties in with youones calculation that you needed 2 more units.....

make sure your correcting properly before you make any dose changing bg records......

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Hi i want to make sure my back ground insulin is holding me steady will i have carbohydrate free meals all day ?

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

cargeo111 carol b said:
Hi i want to make sure my back ground insulin is holding me steady will i have carbohydrate free meals all day ?

I would use either your lunch or dinner meal as a carb free meal,I wouldn't do more than 1 meal at a time
The method I would use is this
Day 1 use the lunch meal, making sure its more than two hours after and 4 hours before your dose of BI
Note BG at the start if its higher than 13 leave until another day,
Try and act as normal as possible, I mean normal activities don't just sit and do nothing,
Its pointless having a BI level that's not suitable to your normal day activities.
This will give a guide for your morning BI,its only a guide.
Then try the evening meal which is more difficult, you have a lot more to watch since it will effect your morning BG
If you have a partner explain to them what your doing and why,also what to do if something happens.
Have some fun and get them involved by them having the same meal,I find a very large bacon and tomato omelette fills the hungry space.
Make sure you test and note in which direction your BG is moving
Regards
Brian
Type1 42 yrs

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Thanks Brian i am totally confused with my blood levels the now !!!!