Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Anthony Murray DAFNE Graduate
South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
9 posts

Thanks Very Happy

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I'm coming to this thread late, and you appear to be on top of it anyway, but thought I'd share my experience.

Like you, I am on Humalog and Lantus. And like you, I was getting highs in the evenings before bed. In January I switched to twice a day, and the issue disappeared. Before the switch I was taking 23-24 units of Lantus at night. After the switch, I found that I needed 13 units morning and night - an increase of 2-3 units overall.

The alternative was to up my dinner QA, but I kept hypoing when I did that. So if you do need to split again, then keep in mind that you may need to slightly increase your BI.

Cheers,
Warwick.

9 posts

Cheers Warwick, sorry for the late reply. I think I will split my lantus, I'm still hit and miss at the moment. BUT I'm only really hit and miss on foods where I can't get a very accurate carb count. On Saturday night for instance I was 13.6, I had a beef chow mein with noodles and a few chips for dinner. I got the carb details from the "diabetics bible" the Carbs and Cals book, I think I even did a +1 as the chow mein and chips weren't full numbers. But of course not every restaurant makes food the exact same way.

And some other time last week, can't remember which day. I had McCain Chips (can't remember how many either) the bloody nutritional info on the back of the bag made things damn complicated: 100g frozen had 21g carbs, 100g oven baked had 28.5g carbs, 100g grilled had 26.6g carbs, I deep fried them, I either counted the chips as 25g per 100 or I just divided the weight by 38. Of course I was high that night.

I did a carb free dinner yesterday and again nothing appears to be wrong with my lantus: 17:03 - 8.6BG 21:54 - 5.4BG, I know I should do it for 2 more days but for reasons I'd rather not go into I'm not going to do it.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hello Anthony,

Talk to your diabetes/DAFNE educator about how to split you BI - it needs to be done very gradually. If they don't know, then aks this forum as there are people here who have done it and can tell you how to do it. I did it without asking how and experienced more highs and hypos than normal so am not the best person to ask :-)

Warwick.

9 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Cheers Warwick,

For the moment my levels seem to have settled down a bit and I don't want to do anything to mess that up. If things change then I'll start splitting, I was the exact same when I first split my lantus with highs and lows, I originally split it 50:50 and gradually adjusted it to something like 30:70.