"Bed time" testing time & BG hit and miss

15 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Anthony Murray DAFNE Graduate
South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
9 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I was wondering if someone could help me with my night time highs.

I'm currently using Humalog (1:1) and Lantus (10 units a night)

What time should I do my "bed time" test?
I take my dinner at 5 and do my test at either 9, 10 or 10:30, take my lantus and then go to sleep at around 1 or 2. If my BG is good or close to good at 9 then I take that as a win, if it's quite high then I will probably wait till later to check again just in case I have some insulin still working away.

When I had my last check-up in February the DSN thought that I should change my dinner ratio to 1.5:1. I haven't tried it because surely if I was supposed to be on 1.5:1 and I'm only doing 1:1 then my "bed time" BG would be in the 20+ range.

I've tried splitting my lantus but it didn't make any difference. I know people say lantus is a 24 hour insulin but I read in the dafne book that it's 18-24 hours and can be split.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Welcome to the forum Anthony

There is 2 possible reasons for the high which I am sure your aware:

BI running out

Not enough QA at dinner

If you are reluctant to change the QA ratio, which in my opinion is good, then the next step is a BI test....

You should carry this out from dinner till bed time, so a carb free dinner......

This will tell you what your BI is doing between dinner and bed.......you may find that it holds steady till about 9 or 10 then goes up, this means that your BI dose is running out.....

Because its a single Lantus dose your only option would be to move the time of it or compensate with some extra QA at dinner..........if you don't want to split you will likely need to compensate somewhere for the lack of full coverage over the 24 hours....

When did you split it? What were the timings then?

9 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Welcome to the forum Anthony

There is 2 possible reasons for the high which I am sure your aware:

BI running out

Not enough QA at dinner

If you are reluctant to change the QA ratio, which in my opinion is good, then the next step is a BI test....

You should carry this out from dinner till bed time, so a carb free dinner......

This will tell you what your BI is doing between dinner and bed.......you may find that it holds steady till about 9 or 10 then goes up, this means that your BI dose is running out.....

Because its a single Lantus dose your only option would be to move the time of it or compensate with some extra QA at dinner..........if you don't want to split you will likely need to compensate somewhere for the lack of full coverage over the 24 hours....

When did you split it? What were the timings then?

Thank you very much, I'll try the carb free dinner today. I was splitting my lantus from the 17th of February till the 23rd of March, was getting the same kind of results (hit and miss... mostly miss). I started out at 4 units at breakfast and 4 units at dinner and by the time I stopped splitting it I was taking 3 units at breakfast and 7 units at dinner.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So it seems you need more overnight than you do in the morning..........it would be good in my opinion to maybe try a split again when your ready, means you can deal with the two different parts of the day separately,....

9 posts

I think I will try it again after I figure out the reason for the night highs and hopefully fix it.

9 posts

I did my Bl test yesterday:

At 4:56 my BG was 5.0
At 9:03 my BG was 5.5
At 9:31 my BG was 5.2
At 10:03 my BG was 5.4

I'm guessing this means that my Lantus isn't running out and that it's a ratio problem. I say "guessing" as this is the first Bl test I have ever done, I only started using QA and Bl a day or two before I did the dafne course less than a year ago.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

That's a great overnight test.......but remember you really need 2 -3 days of results just be sure the results are accurate.....

Looking good though...... Wink

9 posts

Cheers Very Happy knowing my night levels it could have been a fluke so I'll definitely try again for 2 or 3 days and hope for a pattern.

9 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Just a little update on how my sugars have been the past week. I've only had 1 high that I had to do an adjustment for. I know my BED results are mostly in the red but I like to be between 6 and 8.5 at night. I don't know what caused those hypos on Friday morning but it seems to have been a one off.

I was able to get my "bed time" BG lower by changing how I counted cps that weren't full numbers i.e.
Before last week if I had two items for dinner and both were say 5.7 cps each I would usually count it as 11.5 and would only take 11 units as my pen only gives single units and then make any necessary adjustments for high/low BG. Now I would count it as 12 cps and then make adjustments.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

impressive...... Wink