insulin pump

25 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

tcmonkey80 DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
41 posts

Hi, how does the insulin pump work out corrections?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Not an HCP or Pump user yet however I can explain..........

The corrections are programmed into the pump.....

However corrections can change as you know, so in the morning 1 unit could drop you by 3 mmol/l and at night that may go down to 1 mmol/l.....

The pump can accommodate for these varying levels of resistance to corrections at different times of the day.

So by using the information that the user had given it, together with the specified blood sugar targets for that time of the day, its purely a simple arithmetic calculation...

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi tcmonkey80,

There are a few pumps that have a 'bolus advice' function and each works out the correction in a slightly different way; there's a complex algorithm programmed into the pump (or meter) that factors in the BG level; the target BG for that time of day; the CP intake; the ratio; any remaining 'active insulin' from a previous bolus; etc.

All the calculators are only as good as what has been programmed in by the user, so it's essential to use the DAFNE approach to looking for patterns and evaluating ratios and correction sensitivity so that these can be fine-tuned into the adviser.

Does this help?

Carolin

fishnetsboi DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
10 posts

I'm on a Medtronic which has a bolus wizard option, it calculated CP's and insulin from your BG readings and automatically works it out for you depending on what correction you program into your pump.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

fishnetsboi said:
I'm on a Medtronic which has a bolus wizard option, it calculated CP's and insulin from your BG readings and automatically works it out for you depending on what correction you program into your pump.

hows it going with the pump?

I am on the same one as you likely, the larger reservoir model.................so far its brilliant......

fishnetsboi DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
10 posts

Outstanding results novorapidboi can't wait to get back to work to really test it out.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

I get my pump training next Friday...am getting the omnipod Smile

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The Omnipid, wow!!

Are these widely available where you are............

I would love to to get one of these, only been on the pump less than 6 months and the tubing really isn't a problem, but no tubing would open up more entry sites......

Cant wait to hear your thoughts........... Wink

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

Not sure om availability, my consultant recommended the medtronic..but I am against the limitations of the tubing with access to controls and wearing dresses, added to teaching teenagers etc so requested the omnipod and he said yes! Very Happy
Will post how I get on, hopefully it will solve my issues with insulin sensitivity

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have no doubt it will sort out your sensitivity issues..... Very Happy