Carb counting & how to lose weight?

12 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

How exciting! It's going to be good to have us all bouncing ideas!

I haven't even started on the exercise stuff yet, but before applying the information I gained from this book, I used to struggle to keep my levels stable and sometimes I would have no idea where a result came from - this was despite strict carb counting and recognised good understanding of DAFNE principles. I'd hit a wall but now I've learnt how to deal with additional information involving protein and fibre, my levels have improved so much so quickly, it is not even funny.

I really look forward to the thread. If my above issus are common, I think the DAFNE course in the UK at least needs some adjustment. People need to know this information.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Numo,

Welcome to the club :-)

I think that the book will be extremely helpful to you as it deals with different types of exercise including yoga, and how to expect your BGs to behave during and after yoga and how to dose for that. Your experience of going high before a yoga class to lower the risk of a hypo is a common strategy, but Ginger goes into how to take care of this without doing that, or hypoing. As with all experiments, there may be a couple of unwanted outcomes, but in general, you should be able to get on top of this quite quickly.

I have set up the new forum thread here:

http://dafneonline.co.uk/forums/1/topics/2098

If you send me your email address via private message, I will send through electronic copies of the notes that I received on the diabetic exercise conference. They are good, but I think the book is even better. Some of the lectures were taken by Gary Scheiner who wrote the foreword of Ginger's book, and is the author of "Think Like a Pancreas" which is my next read.

Cheers,
Warwick.