Carb counting & how to lose weight?

12 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

xJeanx DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
8 posts

Hi there,
Does anyone know if there is a good book and/or app out there that's good for counting carbohydrates and losing weight?
Thanks
Jean :-)

victorri DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
12 posts

Carbs and cals app gives you calories and fat as well as carb values

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Lower your insulin doses instead of eating extra carbohydrates for exercise, as described in the DAFNE guidebook, is a great way to lose weight straight off the bat.

As for books, I'm currently reading a book called My Diabetic Science Experiment by Ginger Vieira which has not only complimented my DAFNE education but, because it's written by a sporty lady with Type 1, I also plan to use it for getting my exercise regime balanced right so I perform better than I could before.

She goes into a very helpful amount of detail regarding food which will be great for someone looking to lose weight too - it's written for all diabetic types.

Not sure about apps... most stick to the old thinking of diabetes so aren't that great; especially with what I've learnt from the book I've recommended. You need to learn your body's needs first, then you can concentrate on weight loss and it's amazing what was not covered on the DAFNE course in more detail (for me anyway).

Best wishes.

xJeanx DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
8 posts

Thanks for the advice from both of you. I had seen the "Carbs and Cals" app advertised at my Diabetes Centre so think I might download that seeing as it has now been recommended to me. I am also going to look at Amazon now for the book you recommended to me "My Diabetic Science Experiment". Thanks again! Smile

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

The book is highly recommended, Small correction though - it is called Your Diabetes Science Experiment, not My Diabetes Science Experiment.

The book suggests that a great time to lose weight is early morning using a 30 minute walk before breakfast if you are affected by the dawn phenomenon - waking up with high BGLs. You don't need extra carbs because your BGLs are already quite high, and the exercise should bring them down into a normal range.

I was on a diabetic exercise conference a couple of weeks ago, and the recommendation for losing weight is to exercise in the couple of hours after a meal. The reasoning is that by doing this, you can lower your QA dose to handle the drop in BGLs that cardiovascular exercise will produce without needing to eat extra carbs. If you exercise several hours after a meal, then your BGLs are likely to drop, but the only way you can deal with that is to eat carbs which prevents you from losing as much weight.

One of the lecturers was asked how high is too high to exercise? His response is that there is no such things as a BG reading that is too high to exercise, as long as there are no ketones present. If there are ketones present with a high BG reading, then do not exercise. Get the ketones down first using the techniques described in the DAFNE handbook, or get medical assistance if you can't do that yourself.

Hope this helps.
Warwick.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Warwick said:
The book is highly recommended, Small correction though - it is called Your Diabetes Science Experiment, not My Diabetes Science Experiment.

LOL whoops! ^_^; My bad!

The book suggests that a great time to lose weight is early morning using a 30 minute walk before breakfast if you are affected by the dawn phenomenon - waking up with high BGLs. You don't need extra carbs because your BGLs are already quite high, and the exercise should bring them down into a normal range.

This does sound like a good idea, but often DP causes you to wake up high too so dealing with the rise before it starts would be good too... unless she means going for a run sometime around 4am shortly after the reasonable BGs of 2 or 3am..? :/

I planned to chat about this on the book discussion thread - unless you want to make this thread it? I don't mind, haha. Razz

Edit: If we do that, shall I link the dietary fibre stuff from my personal diary thread here too?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Just ordered the book too, I like experiments Very Happy and reading the extract on amazon it seems to be an interesting read by someone who has experienced it first hand !

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Great stuff marke! Will be good to know your thoughts on the book too. Smile

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Will set up the new forum thread soon. The first experiment is on testing BI doses, but I have a cold, and so my BGLs aren't being nice to me right now, so it will be in a couple of days I think.

Warwick.

NuMo DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

I also ordered the book on JWo and Warwick's recommendation and am hoping it will arrive today. I think Amazon will have noticed the interest!

I am very interested in your conference on diabetes and excerise Warwick. I am finding it very hard to balance Bg, excerise and weight gain. I was still teaching my evening classes (Yoga) whilst on the Dafne course and had a hypo during one of them. This has made me very cautious, and I tend to leave my Bg high before class hoping to survive that and have enough left to drive home afterwards ( I don't fancy sitting in an iced-up car awaiting a legal level). I can't think this is right, but have yet to find a balance.

I would very much like to join your thread when you set it up.