Rounding up or rounding down

13 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

I just need some clarification on this - if my lunch comes to 4.5 CPs, then do I round it up to 5? And if so and I am on 1:1.5 ratio, do I then take 7 units or 8?

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I'm on the same ratio as you...in the example you give I go for 7 units [4.5 x 1.5 = 6.75 units....rounded up to 7].
Say the number of units had come to 6.5, I round up and would take 7 units

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Hi, thanks for that, just wanted to be sure!

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

Hi Diane,

Me again!

Depending on what insulin you're on - you can get 0.5 unit pens. I'm on Novorapid QA and I have the Novopen 3 Demi which allows me to do that.

If that's no good then I would usually say that I would base it on what my blood sugar reading pre-eating was - so if I was eating 4.5 CPs then I would round it down to 4 if my blood sugar was 5.0 before eating and round it up to 5 if it was 8.0 say.

With me, 0.5 units QA equates to around 1.5mmol BG so you can roughly work it out from there as to where it would bring you to.

M xx

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Hallo again!

Yes that's very true, I will just have to see how it goes. I knew you could get 0.5 pens, but in my case I've got insulin resistance so I think 0.5 units would have negligible effect on me.

Thanks anyway

Diane x

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The worked example be meltow is exactly how I would do it, multiple by your ratio then round up or down......

Depending on your preference, it could be a good idea to consider you pre meal test when deciding to go up or down.......I personally just use the normal rounding up/down rules regardless of what my BG is at.....

I am quite happy to have my BG at 4.5 - 5 mmol/l......... Wink

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

You're very lucky - that would almost certainly mean imminent hypo for me!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

you must be quite sensitive to insulin, you could try tweaking/compensating with you basal dose...........

done any basal tests recently?

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

MelissaF, I'm a sensitive half unit pen using diabetic too! With the half unit pen, it makes such a difference with this sort of thing.

On that note, does anyone know if there's a Levemir half unit pen? It's come up every now and then in my mind... I use a humalog half unit pen for meals/corrections.

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Yes I'm realising now there's no set rule to rounding up/down. By the way, a packet of Walkers cheese and onion crisps is classed by them as 12.5g and I'm counting as 1 CP. So if I have a sandwich which I know is 3 plus crisps equals 4 then with my ratio that makes 6 units.. If I classed crisps as 1.5 CP, 4.5 x 1.5 = 6.75 then that makes 7 units. So presumably to those of you who are not as resistant to me as insulin, one unit more or less makes a lot of difference? But t hen as you say you go by your pre meal test and then decide what insulin to take.