Pizza

12 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Good advice.......

So do most of you agree that when eating low GI foods, like pizza, and i think pasta, but maybe not, you should split the dose before and after or just wait....

That would help me at lunch times as between lunch and dinner is the only time my sugars increase between those two times (about three o clock) down to the mixture of different GI foods, sandwiches, crisps, biscuits and fruit, I know Im a muncher....

Kevin Jones DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
3 posts

splitting the dose is useful if you are eating a large carb meal to help avoid the hypo that can be created by those high units of insulin. on lower or medium carb meals, i think you can put the insulin in at once. by lower or medium carb meals i mean a normal amount of pasta, say half a plate or less. if you have garlic bread like me as well as the pasta, the carb amount COULD possibly be treated as a large amount.

again, trial and error are the best ways to work out the dose you need. the DAFNE carb book and/or the food packaging will guide you most of the way as well as your own personal ratio.

happy eating!