Pizza

12 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

megramsey DAFNE Graduate
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Does anybody else find Pizza values in Dafne book way too high - I had a Domino's medium pizza last night and in the book it should be 19 - I guessed 9 which was too much.

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hi ..

Have a look at www.myfitnesspal.com, various pizzas and sizes are listed, albeit not Dominoes.

Cheers, JD

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I'm afraid the DAFNE book is a 'generic' list based on average values NOT a precise list of every type of food. You also need to factor in an individuals ratios as well. There is also a lot of 'fat' in Pizza that can affect the speed of absorbtion of the carbs. As ever we are all individuals and so no book will provide perfect answers for everyone. It will be interesting to hear other peoples experiences though !

John Roscoe DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
14 posts

Hi,
The only way to sum up Pizza is it is a nightmare. I spend alot of time in Italy and eat a lot of Pizza while I am over there but it is incredibily difficult to get the right balance. However I do find the DAFNE book a reasonable "guide" and use it as a basis to work from.
The only advice I can give as starting point, is pick a pizza you like (ASDA in house pizza's are a good starting point) and carefully note the CHO value how much you eat,record your BS afterwards etc. etc. Do this a couple of times and you will get to know how you react, then with the info you have use it as a basis to move forward. Unfortunately in my experience you are likely to get it wrong 40 - 50% of the time.
Best of luck!

deborah DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
1 post

Hi Everyone
It could be wrong to recommend my theory, but it works for me. Because of the high fat content in pizza, I find it is very slow to digest so I wait up to an hour after eating pizza before I take my insulin.
I have found to my cost that taking my insulin immediately results in the insulin peaking before the carbs have hit my system but funny, this only happens with pizza !!!!!!
Good Luck pizza lovers.
Deborah

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Being a pizza lover myself I've already had a look on the Domino's site for CP info and it's got it... Go to http://www.takeafreshlook.co.uk/foodguide.htm for PDF versions of Nutrition Info for all of their pizzas and sides. Also remember you can add CP values to our listing on the site, so if you get it nailed then feel free to add the info there too.

Pedroteremoto DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Personaly I find the values spot on. For a 9 inch thin crust it says 9 and on 2:1 i give 18 and it works fine. Must say though I am scared to death of the prospect of eating a 12" deep pan as i would need 49 units.

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
25 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I love eating pizza but always have blood sugar problems afterwards so I decided to try Deborahs example and inject an hour later.
Last night I ate a shop bought pizza (14CPs) and waited an hour before injecting but my sugar levels kept rising through the night.
Does anybody else have this and has anyone else found a technique I can try??
I have tried having an extra unit of background before I eat the pizza but I still rise through the night.
Takeaway or restaurant pizzas are always a gamble so shop bought gives a reliable CP reading to work from
If anyone is wondering about my insulin doses being low i'm still honeymooning i think. Although why it is called honeymooning baffles me, my experiences with it suggest it should be called long and painful divorce instead.....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

its hard one, I would stick with the background increasing ,or try splitting it.

Not everyone is keen but the time it lasts differs from everyone.

Splitting ensures you are covered all 24 hours of the day.

Another option is to inject when you are eating. sugars are going to rise anyway, and it means you can correct before bed as your QA will be running out.

Kevin Jones DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
3 posts

I dont have much trouble with pizza. i normally use the values from the packaging if available and have learned pretty much how much insulin to put in by trial and error. the thin crust pizza 9" is normally 8 units for a whole pizza and a deep pan can be up to 12 units. Bear in mind my ratio is slightly lower than 1 CP to 1 unit of insulin.

The best advice is as usual. do a test run. take a reading before, eat the pizza, i normally wait about 20 mins for the meal to start digesting, and then inject the insulin. then do another reading about 2 hours later.

if you hypo from putting all the insulin in at once, split the dose and inject half after about 20 mins and then half about 1 and 1/2 hours later. if you still hypo, then the have the number of units too high. make a note of what you used and do another test run (yummy!) when convenient.

remember that thin crust and thick crust differ quite substantionally in their carb values. and if you have one of those 'stuffed crusts' it's even higher. i think they should be avoided at all costs, all that cheese and fat cant be good for you!

once you have worked out the dosage for each type and amount of pizza, eg. thin crust, 9", you can pretty much guess the others and get close.

enjoy the food!