White Bread or Brown?

17 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi,

Who has white bread & who has brown bread?

Gill

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As you probably guessed from my other response, I will eat any kind of bread, unlike a lot of folk, both type 1 and 2 who choose there bread carefully, I dont know if I SHOULD be doing this, but I dont............. Wink

novorapidboi26 said:
As you probably guessed from my other response, I will eat any kind of bread, unlike a lot of folk, both type 1 and 2 who choose there bread carefully, I dont know if I SHOULD be doing this, but I dont............. Wink

I so much prefer white bread but an awful lot of diabetics i believe have brown (ie bergen) so i don't know whether i'm doing right or wrong having white.

Gill

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

More commonly type 2s will need to choose there food strategically, so basically, choose foods that have as little an impact on blood sugars as possible, low GI.

Type 1 diabetics taking this approach is also good, but purely a personal choice. If you can eat white bread and get your insulin dose/timing right to manage it without spiking, then theoretically you can eat it without feeling like a criminal......

The burgen bread is lower carb and lower GI, so it needs less insulin and it also gets absorbed much slower, helped by all the seeds etc too.........

novorapidboi26 said:
More commonly type 2s will need to choose there food strategically, so basically, choose foods that have as little an impact on blood sugars as possible, low GI.

Type 1 diabetics taking this approach is also good, but purely a personal choice. If you can eat white bread and get your insulin dose/timing right to manage it without spiking, then theoretically you can eat it without feeling like a criminal......

The burgen bread is lower carb and lower GI, so it needs less insulin and it also gets absorbed much slower, helped by all the seeds etc too.........

Thanks novorapidboi26, i think i'm going to stick with my white bread Very Happy

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Me too.........

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

I love the brown bread - not because of the higher fibre, lower GI etc, but because I love the taste. I prefer granary, but will happily eat brown. I have on occasions had the Bergan bread because I was trying to eat an over all lower GI diet - ie I had to endure brown rice as well. It did work but so boring. I'm afraid I find white bread tasteless and so I choose brown - which is what DAFNE allows us all to do - eat what we choose.

It is an interesting debate, and I bet it is a bit like marmite, with camps firmly opposed. Laughing

Ahmentep DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
99 posts

You mean there ARE people who like Marmite?!!! :-) Shocked

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Ahmentep said:
You mean there ARE people who like Marmite?!!! :-) Shocked

Oh yes - I love it, esp on toasted brown bread Very Happy

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I buy my bread from an artisan bread maker; one of his best sellers is a Marmite Loaf. SUPERB, served warm with a big pat of butter!