Freestyle Libre

24 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

novorapidboi26 said:

Sally Mac said:
Hi All, I am amazed to hear of the inaccuracies that the Libre sensor is giving some people. I have not used it myself as I use a Dexcom G6 which is 100% accurate every time. Have you tried using another sensor @lucy1gus2?

, Hi, I never calibrate the Dexcom G6 sensor, that is the joy of using it.

How often do you need to calibrate the dexcom?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I also get the Dexcom via NHS funding. Sadly its the old story of post code lottery. I stayed under Guy's hospital in London when I was put on a pump. They have far more resources than my local hospital and they were happy to fund me, my local hospital won't fund Libre's let alone the Dexcom. Hopefully this will change in the coming years when they see the benefits of Diabetics having CGM's and the long term money it will save the NHS.
With regards to the accuracy, even with blood tests the rules state 'Under the new standard, meters will need to meet the accuracy guidelines 95% of the time: Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L. Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more' . A Libre or Dexcom measures inter-cell fluid sugar so at best it will be slightly less accurate than BG tests. Sorry but any test like this is never 100% accurate, its a best estimate. The advantage of Libre/Dexcom is the trends it shows i.e a warning you are heading low. Currently you can't use them as your only means of dosing insulin. One day that will change, but who knows how soon

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi @marke, I didn't realise that it was all about where you lived. I am still shocked to still keep hearing these stories. I would agree about the details of the trends, that's where the sensors come into their own. The good news is that tech is developing at such a rate for Type 1's, I am sure there will be a difference soon, i.e.., in our lifetimes. It can feel like a full-time job sometimes, but I can see that I'm lucky in that I have access to the sensors, a pump and a great hospital, DSN and consultant. I would hate to think how I would manage otherwise.

John H DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Hello Folks, Just a brief update on the original post that I made.
The systems perform as individuallly as the people they are fitted to in terms of suitability.
I was able to make the appointment with the DSN at clinic locally, I remained unsure of the system, but it was offered after a short conversation, all was fitted up and the handset was linked to the sensor living on my arm. Had a few questions which were answered by a really knowledgeable nurse who was confident that it will work for me just fine. Within the hour all data was being exchanges and history was being made in the log table. I do have conserns regarding the sensor staying in place due to my work and exercise it involves, but have a skin coloured sweat band type of item to protect the sensor, and I am really well impressed with how this seems to be working for me. The view is that I am likely to be put forward for the Dexcom system due to the siting of the sensor being not ideal for me, but for now it is working really well for me. I also hope that the folks that are going forward with flash/cgm testing get to meet a proper decent DSN who knows their stuff - mine was superb !
Thanks for reading this and the encouragement I was given from this group.