Freestyle Libre

24 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

John H DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Warwick said:
Unfortunately I think it depends on the individual as to how accurate it is.

I have found the Libre 2 is usually a few points of a blood glucose reading most of the time although there was the occasional time when it was 2 or 3 mmol/L difference but whether the Libre 2 was inaccurate it or the BG meter, I don't know.

Others in this forum seem to have had greater inaccuracies though.

I believe that the technology may be useful to some, but for me, I need to rely on measurements that have a good accuracy, and I suspect I will bin the idea of using this product based on its performance, accuracy overall and where the item is sited due to the type of work that I do having looked deeper into all of this. Will be fine for office type of person, but not for me. Thanks for your reply.

lucy1gus2 DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
12 posts

John H said:
Hi Folks.
I have been trying to access the Libre sytem for some time, there have been delays after delay with the induction and assisting me in starting the use of the gadget. I have opted to go for a 1-1 with the local iabetes centre altough this in itself is likely to take even longer. However, from what I have seen on these posts there seems to be question over the accuracy alongside the reliability. I have battled on with glucose testing for donkeys years and this seems to offer consistent accuracy and reliability, so the question is - "Are these worth the effort" as it maybe a level of trust on a device against the accuracy of glucose testing.

Hi John
It is worth getting as it does reduce the number of finger pricks. I made the mistake of setting the alarms for low readings and went from one or two per week with finger pricking to 3 or 4 alarms a day.Which meant a finger prick which showed that the Libre was consistently 2 or 3 units below. My fingers are now back to normal which meant a lot to me.

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

I have found that the readings aren’t far off actual BG except for high readings. I find the low alarms very useful as I was losing my sensitivity to hypos. Also my fingers are not sore anymore! I can play my cello without pain now. As for being active, I noticed that Nikita, one of the Strictly Come Dancing professionals, has a Libre sensor. You can’t get much more active than that! Very Happy

John H DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

I get it, but I also understand that I also inject frequently, so the view for me is that I will continue to do both for some time to come, there seems to be no better or accurate way to go.
I do understand the replies and pleased for the input from fellow DAFNE experienced folks. Many thanks, John

RachelClement DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

I have been using Libre 2 for around 18 months, I find the additional information it gives you both useful and worrying. Diabetes has taken over my life where for the past 25 years using a glucose meter I had a good HbA1C but my diabetes did not rule my life.

I recently discovered the Libre readings at the lower end can be very different to BM (which is gold standard). Unfortunately no consistent pattern and often occurs in situations before I have taken corrective action, so not due to delay on Libre. In the past I have corrected unnecessarily resulting in a high glucose reading. As a result I am now checking any low or high reading on the meter! High readings generally match as do normal range, but low glucose readings can be as much as 3 different ie the difference between normal range and a hypo!!
How do we stand for driving? Would the law say we were hypo? It’s a worry and I am quickly loosing faith in the system.

68 posts

With driving you are still required to do a finger prick test. I always try to make sure this is above 7 before I drive so it’s got somewhere to go if it starts to drop. I agree, if you get a low reading but don’t “feel” low then you should double check. Mine is usually not far off.

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi All, I am amazed to hear of the inaccuracies that the Libre sensor is giving some people. I have not used it myself as I use a Dexcom G6 which is 100% accurate every time. Have you tried using another sensor @lucy1gus2?

68 posts

Unfortunately the NHS will only prescribe the Freestyle Libre. Dexcom is too expensive!

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi Annette, oh gosh. That's weird as I get my Dexcom paid by the NHS along with my pump. I didn't realise that about Freestyle Libre. That would of course explain why there are so many people using it. You learn something every day with Diabetes it seems! Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Sally Mac said:
Hi All, I am amazed to hear of the inaccuracies that the Libre sensor is giving some people. I have not used it myself as I use a Dexcom G6 which is 100% accurate every time. Have you tried using another sensor @lucy1gus2?

How often do you need to calibrate the dexcom?