Diabetes.............

37 posts, 15 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

Hmm i guess i agree with Iain , i have had diabetes for 30 years since i was 10 and when people see me injecting a common response is ' Doesnt that get on your nerves ?' my response is 'No its more of an inconvenience really ' but after having diabetes for so long it also becomes a habit quite a few times i will do my injection and have to ask my husband or sons if theyve seen me take it ! Does anyone else do this ?

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Jenny - yes I've only had it for 4 years but I often forget if I've taken my insulin, as it has become second nature to me now. One time I made a mistake and injected twice - then a couple of hours later had to eat nearly a whole packet of jelly babies to correct! Not making that mistake again...

Nat DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
30 posts

Yes, I often sit at dinner and say to the children can you remember if I have done my injection and my little boy usually says "yes mummy look your arm is bleeding" and we all laugh. I too get people asking if it hurts or how can you do that every day, but I have had diabetes for 19 years and have now had it longer than I didn't so really have forgotten the before!

Nat DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
30 posts

.... I also took my BI dose (before Dafne and when I was on fixed amounts) so 22 units of Novorapid. I had only been diabetic for a year and had to eat weetabix every 2 hours throughout the night - that was a lesson I will never forget.

34 posts

I know what you mean Nat , i was 10 when i got diabetes and am now 40 , so really cant remember what llife pre diabetes was like .

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

If you have problems remembering if you've injected or not and you're on Humalog insulin, there is a pen with a display and a memory, so you can see the date & time of your last injection - see: http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/forums/1/topics/328

Alan

34 posts

Thanks for that Alan , i am on humalog i have a dafne follow up session tomorrow so will certialy ask about it .