Diabetes.............

37 posts, 15 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Diesease or Condition...........

What do you refer to it as........?????????

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

Mmm I think of it as a condition; but used to think of it as a disease....
A condition is something you can control; but a disease can be life-limiting.....

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

for me a disease is an outside 'agent' that you 'catch'. As far as I understand Type 1 is caused by your own body attacking itself and so is a 'condition'. We won't go into causes as this is potential contentious and not completely clear cut. It could be triggered by a 'disease' and then again maybe not....

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

no sooner do I post than I think of heart 'disease' which is also referred to as a condition. Anyway I still go with condition myself....

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree with you marke.............

For me a disease is an outside force entering the body having adverse effects....

A condition is more genetic, or at least comes from inside...... Alzheimers, cancer and so on.....

I thought I would start this thread as I have seen it written as disease many times and totally disagree...

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Diabetes is a condition
A disease you catch [bacteria or virus], whereas a condition happens, and in the case of diabetes you can't necessarily put your finger on the reason why.

Angie DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

A disease isn't necessarily something you catch - it's defined in medical terms as "any deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of any body part, organ, or system that is manifested by a characteristic set of symptoms and signs and whose etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown", which definitely fits diabetes.

I guess I've thought of it as both a disease and a condition somewhat interchangeably, though when I'm having one of those days it does get referred to as "that damn disease!" ;)

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

wow.............lots of jargon there................

twitch_101 DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
1 post

I settled with condition on a good day and on a bad day its a disease Razz

kid127 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
25 posts

I asked a doctor once and they said it was a disorder. Definition from google web deictionary:

•a physical condition in which there is a disturbance of normal functioning

I'd say that sums it up a bit better