Search the DAFNE Online Forums

toni DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

i like to refer to my diabetes as a "disorder"

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

that does seem like a happy medium.................well done toni.............welcome to the forum................

toni DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

thank you novorapidboi!!

claireadams 12 posts

i dont know what id personally class it as, but if you break disease down its a 'dis-ease' ...and diabetes is certainly that to me!!

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

We will need to change that opinion claire.....

It can be managed with ease if you let it...

toni DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

i have to agree with Novorapidboi life is what you make it, so dont let the diabetes rule you you have to rule it.
I have had diabetes for 30 years now and have two kids with it too, and at the moment im trying to teach my son ( who starts 4 injection regime thursday) that diabetes wont stop him from achieving what he wants to do only he will stop himself!

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I think you've both missed the point of Claire's clever play on the word 'disease'. She's not saying that it's a disease but more of an inconvenience. That's my interpretation of her comment. anyway.

Alan

claireadams 12 posts

HAha exactly Alan! Thankyou... thats right, i wouldnt say it was a "disease" but more of a 'dis-ease', and i dont know anyone who would say it wasnt an inconvenience.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I understood the point, but I beleive that it is not an inconvenience, its been 11 years now and I dont think claire has been diagnosed that long, but it does become part of life, so much so it becomes normal....its all in the mind.....

Mark Duncan DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
4 posts

I don't get to deep with it. I dont put it in a category. I dont see is as anything more than my life and thats it. I don't like to be labelled.

After 15 years I can honestly say when soemone asks me what it is like to be diabetic I can't really answer it. To me its like asking someone what its like to have size 8 feet or brown hair.