E-Petitioln

11 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Whitaker DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
4 posts

One for the Admin team: I've just graduated and joined this site. The first thing I read was a plea to sign the petition asking for structured education for all diabetics. I agree wholeheartedly and so tried to go to petition site. Unfortunately the link is broken, returning a 403 not satisfied error. Perhaps the team could check and amend the home page.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Whitaker said:
One for the Admin team: I've just graduated and joined this site. The first thing I read was a plea to sign the petition asking for structured education for all diabetics. I agree wholeheartedly and so tried to go to petition site. Unfortunately the link is broken, returning a 403 not satisfied error. Perhaps the team could check and amend the home page.

Whitaker, is your query regarding the below link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/41345

If so the petition ended 08.11.2013 perhaps that's why you get a broken link.

regards

Sarah

Whitaker DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
4 posts

Hi Sarah, who knows?* I can't follow the link, so I don't know where it would take me!

It's on the home page http://dafneonline.co.uk/ where this phrase is prominent:
Please sign the E-petition calling for Structured Education for ALL Diabetics at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41345

The point is that there should not be out of date, irrelevant or broken links on the page. If the petition is closed then there should not be a message asking people to sign it. By all means have an article that says "We petitioned the Government..." or create a new petition, but do not have a hoime page that creates a poor impression.

Regards

Simon

*Yes, I can see that the petition number is the same, but that's not the point Confused

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
37 posts

Whitaker said:
Hi Sarah, who knows?* I can't follow the link, so I don't know where it would take me!

It's on the home page http://dafneonline.co.uk/ where this phrase is prominent:
Please sign the E-petition calling for Structured Education for ALL Diabetics at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41345

The point is that there should not be out of date, irrelevant or broken links on the page. If the petition is closed then there should not be a message asking people to sign it. By all means have an article that says "We petitioned the Government..." or create a new petition, but do not have a hoime page that creates a poor impression.

Regards

Simon

*Yes, I can see that the petition number is the same, but that's not the point Confused

E-Petition

By marke on December 03, 2012 21:55

The DAFNE User Action Group has raised a petition for central funding of a national structured education programme for diabetics (including DAFNE).
They are publicising this initiative from as many angles as possible, hence this news article. If enough votes are registered then a government debate will be
trigggered which it is hoped will result in some kind of programme to do what is suggested i.e National Structured Education programmes for Diabetes.
This is for ALL Diabetics not just Type 1's.
The link to the e-peittion is: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41345

The statement was posted on the DAFNE website 03.12.2012 - 7 years ago. It's a very old message!

The petition ended 08.11.2013.

regards

Sarah

Whitaker DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
4 posts

Sarah, thanks for coming back, but I think that you've just underlined my point: The petition ended in November 2013, so why is the home page still asking people to sign it? Such out of date material should not be present. If the home page is so out of date and irrewlevant, then what does it say about the rest of the content? There is no invitation to explore, just an impression that the site is out of date and not maintained.

There doesn't seem to be much activity on the site, perhaps others have decided that it's all old stuff? Do we need a more active mopderator and admin team? There must be some positive and current news items that could replace an exhortation to sign a petition that closed seven years ago.

As a new user, I'm full of enthusiasm and want to see the site active and used; but cannot accept that material that is seven years out of date should be the first thing that new users see. It is not relevant and should be removed, hence making my post to refer to the admin team.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
37 posts

Whitaker

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. 🤷‍♀️

EdwardR DAFNE Graduate
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
5 posts

Looks like a molehill out of a molehill to me.. and you could just fix the page

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, sorry yes we DO intend to fix it, the problem is when you manage the site you miss the obvious things :-( We need to update the front page soon anyway so I will ensure it does get fixed then !!

Whitaker DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
4 posts

Thanks Marke, that's all I was asking for. Having been in IT for 40+ years, I'm well aware of the problems, and if nobody points thingd out then they might never get fixed. Timely and relevant information is so important for websites, so Ilook forward to the revised page. If you have a content management system then it should be a simple change, but even in HTML it should be a dead simple text edit. Thanks for responding and Happy New Year. Very Happy

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Whitaker,
I am very impressed by your enthusiasm and suggestions to make the DAFNE website more user friendly for everyone.
I believe many DAFNE users relate to your comments regarding outdated threads needing to be fixed up to make a relevant website. It’s great Marke’s comments to fix up the web pages in the new year. It would also be a wonderful opportunity at the start of the new year to invite all members to make positive comments and suggestions on how to improve the forum pages.
Firstly, you mention the problem with threads. I would like to again restate the amount of spam on this site that has been on the forum pages. This spam destroys forum communication and also leaves confusing deleted threads left on the page.
Secondly, the DAFNE front page should state unequivocally that there is no relationship between DAFNE central, that is the DAFNE that provides courses in hospitals, and the forum pages voluntarily run by Marke. In fact, I find this surprising and confusing due to the fact the DAFNE logo is used by both entities yet there appears to be a lack of communication, funding etc between the two organisations. This forum is a mirror to DAFNE run in the hospital, with thousands of users and past participants listed on your website yet it is baffling the apparent lack of communication, coordination, contact or funding between DAFNE central and this forum that seemingly runs on an oily rag.
Hoping everyone has a safe and healthy new year, 2020