Good carb counting resource?

18 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Debcj75 DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
4 posts

I really like the My fitness pal app, especially for the barcode reading function, sometimes if the nutritional values are printed really tiny, or in a different language etc, it really helps!

David Hales DAFNE Graduate
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
12 posts

Is the carbs and Cals app any better than the DAFNE app for carbs? I don't want to waste £3.69 :>)javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

I use the carbsandcals almost every day, but haven't really used the DAFNE app. The carbsandcals gives you pictures so it makes it much easier to guesstimate the carbs compared to just a specific amount if unable to weigh etc

David Hales DAFNE Graduate
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
12 posts

Thank you for the quick reply. I think I'll invest!javascript:emoticon('Confused')

Debcj75 DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
4 posts

I bought the carbs and cals app but didn't really use it. I prefer the my fitness pal app. Especially with the barcode scanner, although you have to be careful as occasionally the barcode is in fact for a different product.

hypo DAFNE Graduate 18 posts

I use the carbs and cals all the time it is available as an app and has more foods on that as it keeps updating new ones.

Gus DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
10 posts

I use Myfitnesspal mainly because I can add data for the 'ethnic' foods I tend to eat more of and use it to calculate CPs for the actual weights.

I get unpredictable results from carbs & call for these foods.

Key thing to bear in mind though for MFP is to be sure to use records that have detailed nutritional items (proteins, vitamins, fats, etc) as these are likely to come from more reliable sources.

Secondly, if you can't find nutritional data you can look this up and store with the My Foods function. I use nutrition reference tables published by the USDA, mainly because the UK/Eu versions are less easy to interpret but the numbers look almost identical to those on the packaging for non-ethnic foods.

Gus DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
10 posts

Should have added that I use both apps, but the carbs & call version doesn't store my meals...