reliable metre readings

29 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
I think there have been some attempts at non invasive blood glucose measurement.

I think currently the blood meters use light/laser at the moment, its passes through the sample and then the light that returns is measured/analysed, and its that which gives the result. I think that's how they do it...

And I think recently they have been experimenting with similar technology where you shine light of longer wavelengths through your finger and that will give a reading, so I think we may be on the right track.

I still believe that an insulin pump is a pretty simple device though, in comparison to blood meters. Its just a tiny motor hooked up to a microchip which is programmed.

Have there been different models of omnipod, like a 2nd generation etc, upgrades, if not, they may have scope to refine any technology it currently uses like the built in meter....

Very Happy

Hi vickyp
glad to see your having them tests, hope there help with them dips,
Vickyp is right I'm on the Pod 2 slightly smaller and some improvements over the 1st generation omnipod,
your description of the new thinking of BG testing sounds interesting , just hope there can make the carrier more robust and less dependent on the conditions around it.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

Thanks youone, hopefully they will figure out what's going on!

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Vickyp said:
Thanks youone, hopefully they will figure out what's going on!

I was tweeted on the 20/02/14 that an issue had been raised by Abbott regarding the omnipod meter and test strips
The link is here
thebloodsugarwhisperer.WordPress.com/2014/02/20/omnipod-freestyle-users-test
IWas in touch with my support team today who have sent me a confirmation letter from Abbott which I'll post up when I'm next to a PC

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
137 posts

Yeah I received letter today, but had already phoned Abbott who are sending me 6 boxes of strips. When I tested my strips with control solution they were fine, however my diabetes nurse has told me to go back to optium meter until strips arrive, to be on safe side, and manually put bs into PDM.

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Vickyp said:
Yeah I received letter today, but had already phoned Abbott who are sending me 6 boxes of strips. When I tested my strips with control solution they were fine, however my diabetes nurse has told me to go back to optium meter until strips arrive, to be on safe side, and manually put bs into PDM.

That's good news, the information seems to be freely available on the PP sites Facebook etc.
Sorry to be forgetful ,how did your tests go?
Hopefully very well
Brian

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
137 posts

Thanks for asking Brian, tests were very weird, didn't have hypo during tests...had one almost everydat afterwards for a week or so!! Saw endo on Wednesday and he says that the tests show I am still making insulin, although cpeptide on low end of range, and I don't have antibodies against the insulin...so he thinks the hypos are due to my natural insulin as they occur when i have the pump switched off
Finally the diagnosis is Secondary Diabetes. I am a rare case and hesis using me as a case study to discuss wuth other doctors as they haven't seen anything like it before!

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Vickyp said:
Thanks for asking Brian, tests were very weird, didn't have hypo during tests...had one almost everydat afterwards for a week or so!! Saw endo on Wednesday and he says that the tests show I am still making insulin, although cpeptide on low end of range, and I don't have antibodies against the insulin...so he thinks the hypos are due to my natural insulin as they occur when i have the pump switched off
Finally the diagnosis is Secondary Diabetes. I am a rare case and hesis using me as a case study to discuss wuth other doctors as they haven't seen anything like it before!

hi
The tests finally came through with the Secondary diabetes diagnosis, your mind must be at rest now you have a understanding of whats happening, a rare type of diabetes, i'm sure the doctors will look after you.
maybe a CGM would help with them lows giving you a warning before it happens.
the USA seems to be well ahead of us in D devices, Our advantage is we don't pay in full for our pumps etc.
I'm glad for you, its always more a worry not knowing what you've got.
I got this post, its QA with abbott regarding the recent recall.
since your a omnipod user it maybe useful to you.
although it's mainly for the USA users

On Friday, I had the opportunity to speak with Jessica Sachariason, the Public Affairs Manager for Abbott Diabetes Care. I relayed to her the different complaints and concerns that I had heard, and I also asked her a series of questions that I felt Abbott had not yet addressed. However, she had to go back and get the "proper" answers to meet Abbott's legal department's requirements, so the answers are somewhat formal and stilted. That being said, I feel a bit better knowing that Abbott has now heard at least some of the complaints and issues that arose from this recall.

~*~

What was the issue that caused the erroneous low blood sugars? Was this a technical defect or was it a quality control issue? Why does the Freedom meter work but not the PDM or the older meters?

The root cause has been determined to be a strip manufacturing process error, which only expresses when a strip is used with a non-applied voltage meter (FreeStyle, FreeStyle Flash, and the FreeStyle meter built into the Omnipod system). The manufacturing error causes a decreased response in the system glucose readings. Meters, such as the FreeStyle Freedom, with applied voltage are not impacted and do not express a decreased response in the system glucose readings.

What has been done to resolve this issue?

Abbott has implemented additional quality control processes. At Abbott, the health and safety of patients is our highest priority. The replacement test strips provided to OmniPod users have undergone additional quality testing to ensure they produce accurate results. Going forward, all test strips will receive this testing.

How long had Abbott known about the defect? Does this stem from the November 2013 recall of your test strips?

Following the conclusion of the investigation linked to the November recall, Abbott expanded the recall. Abbott contacted the FDA and promptly initiated a product recall in affected markets and has communicated with all affected parties.

How will customers know they are getting accurate test strips moving forward?

Strip vials with expiration dates of August 2015 or after are strips that are safe for you to use with your OmniPod. Strips with expiration dates before August 2015 should not be used with your OmniPod, but can be used safely with a FreeStyle Freedom meter.

Are you working with pharmacies to prevent old test strips from going to customers who don’t have the Freedom meter? Are pharmacy stocks being replaced with the new test strips? When is it safe to reorder test strips?

Approximately 99 percent of the U.S. customer base who use Abbott’s FreeStyle family of meters are not impacted as they do not use FreeStyle Flash or FreeStyle Blood Glucose Meter systems.

In regards to the question about the replacement strips for OmniPod users, the 400 replacement test strips will be about a 2 – 3 month supply of strips. This amount should cover the customer until the customer’s next visit to the pharmacy to replenish their next test strip supply.

Due to these factors, there is no action required by doctors, pharmacies, and suppliers. If an HCP, pharmacy or supplier has a question, they should contact Abbott’s diabetes care customer service and a representative will provide support.

As mentioned above, strip vials with expiration dates of August 2015 or after are strips that are safe for you to use with your OmniPod. Strips with expiration dates before August 2015 should not be used with your OmniPod, but can be used safely with a FreeStyle Freedom meter.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
137 posts

Hi Brian, I got replacement strips from Abbott, I was sent a letter about it. I didn't notice any lows that I didn't actually feel. The meter in PDM does read lower than my optium meter, but is well within the 20% tolerance between meters! and the new strips haven't shown much difference!
I spoke to my pharmacist and they had a blank look on their face but said that they have new strips....July 2015...so a month early! Abbott sent me 600 strips so by the time those run out (2.5 months) the pharmacy should have new ones with dates after August 2015!
I am not sure about cgm, I feel the lows before they are too low and rarely go higher than 10. I may have to get a cgm if I get pregnant!
Vicky x

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Hi Vicky
I'm still not happy with the test strips supplied, There gave a 2 difference to my glucomen lx plus and a friends metre,
So until things settle I'm staying with the glucomen.
yes the CGM would aid you with your pregnancy.
I missed the countmein visit to the house of paliment the this week, which has gone well,
I really hope the government increase research funding for diabetes also funding for pumps and other devices.
I guess like you, I can't believe how much my pump has changed my life
Keep us informed on any good news
Brian