Carbs n cals app

13 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Viz DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
7 posts

Hi everyone, I'm new here and finished the dafne course in leicester about 6 weeks ago and found it great. I purchased the carbs n cals app on my ipad and assumed I would automatically have the full unlocked version on my iphone when I downloaded it. Does anybody know if you have to purchase the full version for each device or should 1 purchase of carbs and cals work on all apple devices ?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think it should work on all devices, you may have to back up the device that has the app then restore that back up on the ipad etc.

It can really be quite confusing with the apple devices and itunes......

I have been android now for 6 months, so I cant really advise anymore.....

Viz DAFNE Graduate
7 posts

Thanks for your reply il try that. It's a great app and very helpfull with the carb counting.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

It is good.

I actually have the pocket size book with me at all times, it only has a small and large portion to view but its still really helpful when out and about.......

I feel like I keep banging on about this but the myfitnesspal app lets you search for your food and drink and then lets you add it to whatever meal time your having it in, then gives you a carb total at the end. Takes the whole carb counting to another level, and also keeps a record of what you have eaten.

It literally has pretty much everything you can think of from supermarket items, even LIDL and ALDI up here in Scotland, and has all the well known eateries and fast food establishments, and you can scan bar codes too if typing in a particularly long named product doesn't sound fun. It also remembers the items you have had before which makes it even more convenient.

Lol, I honestly don't work for them.........

Viz DAFNE Graduate
7 posts

Lol they should give u some shares in the company lol. Il definetly have to try that one , sounds goods ! Thanks for that. I'm new to the basal bolus regime as I was on novamix 30 for 24 years twice a day injections changed to this 6 weeks ago and wish I did this years ago !! More injections but better control ( it's worth it ). Thanks again

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

I use a mixture of both myfitnesspal and carbandcals apps. A lot of food whilst out etc isn't on carbs and cake but is easily found on myfitnesspal. I also gave the pocket carbs and cals book but only really use at home as never leave house without phone so have the apps for when I'm out. My mum was impressed by the apps when she first saw me using them!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

While we're on the subject.. I've had the excellent carbs and cals app on my iPhone for a while. Recently I downloaded an update, and now almost every time I open the app it says that new foods have been added, and it starts an automatic update. This can last some time (especially if it's a 3G or worse, rather than wifi) which means I can't access the app until the update has finished - no good if you're in a restaurant and want to know NOW! Very frustrating - is anyone else having the same problem, and is there any way of holding-off updates until a later, more convenient time?

Viz DAFNE Graduate
7 posts

Hi I have the same thing with my app. Wifi is faster takes a few mins

Interview DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
1 post

I'm not able to access pictures on Carbs & Cals App if I'm not connected to Internet. Before update, I could see individual pictures. any suggestions to get this?

davidcragg DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
17 posts

Interview said:
I'm not able to access pictures on Carbs & Cals App if I'm not connected to Internet. Before update, I could see individual pictures. any suggestions to get this?

When you are connected to wifi go to the setup screen and press the "Download all images" button - hopefully that will solve your problem

David