Tesco sandwich labelling

12 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

I thought that recently food labelling was all going to be improved, I don't know if that has happened yet or not.

I bought a Tesco Lighter Choice sandwich. It gave the carbohydrate value for 100g but NOWHERE on the packet (I checked several times) did it give the total weight, so I had to guess, which I can do yes, but that is not the point. This is terrible! The irony is that on a "normal" sandwich it does give the weight. It's no good giving the total suger value like it does because that is not the same.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

An average slice of bread is 15-20g of carbs, so 2 units.....

This is the way I work it out when eating bread and it always works...

What was in the sandwich.......?

Smaller slices are 10g and rolls are usually 30g...

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Oh yes it wasnt that i couldnt work it out, it was just so annoying that with all the facts and figures on the packet it didnt have the weight! It was red salmon and cucumber and for 100g it gave carbs as 26g.

Just very frustrating when other Tesco sandwiches not in Light range have weight on pack AND give you carbs PEr PACK.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Oh i see.........

I understand........I wonder if they have omitted the weight because its likely to be purchased by folk looking to lose weight....and they may not want to see it......

The DAFNE educated individual knows this is nonsense however.....

So how many carbs did you guess and did the insulin dose work out OK.......?

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Well the bread wasn't that thick and from having sandwiches from them before I guessed at 4CPs and I was 7.2 at dinner so I was happy with that.

Aaargh! Annoying, shouldn't have to guess. Boycott Tesco!

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Lol, good guess, that's exactly what I would have guessed.......

Overtime you wont need to guess for things like that though, and that's a good thing in my opinion. Eventually you build up your own little database for things you eat regularly.....

Still annoying though when these shops cant put the basic information on their products that the people needing them can use......

I am an ASDA man....... Wink

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

Totally agree with the feeling here, I've worked in the print Labelling sector for 30 years, The amount of information that goes on a label you would think a simple This contains 4CP's wouldn't be to difficult, I've also noticed over the years the size of the typefaces have got smaller,
Let’s shout not good enough!
put the CP amount on the label clearly stating it’s for the whole serving and not for 100g etc.
I’m an Aldi man, well most of the time................. Laughing

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

I agree with you re labeling - there are so many different ways they label CHO's - its not just Tesgrots that tells you how much per 100g then doesn't give you that crucial bit of info - how much in total, I have found many different stores do this, although in my experience they do tend to on sandwiches.

My real fury is saved for the very lazy (cheap skates) ones who can't be bothered to put the info on their product - they just say - see our web site for nutritional information. Yes I know lots of us have phones capable of getting this info, but it is a pain, takes too long and dependent on having a fast signal - not always available even in London.

NuMo DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

This is all so true.

And then you get the manufacturers who brag about their labelling and print in nice big print "all" the important information for easy access, leaving out the carbs and only giving sugar. It's as if they think the only people who need this information will be dieters. People like us or celiacs, for example, with real dietary needs are not catered for.

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Something in the whole re-labelling process has gone wrong. Who "signed it off" as ok i wonder?