Dosage auto-calculation in apps

64 posts, 28 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi bejt1, sorry I don't understand your post at all. Who are you aiming it at ? If its us at dafneonline then you need to read the thread properly. No the auto-calculate won't be re-introduced and we have explained why. If its aimed at the MHRA, then they don't read or care about dafneonline....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

All dosage calculations should be done at the meter end I think, not an app..........

getting more meters with some kind of bolus wizard is key..........there are a few out there already.......

Very Happy

bejt1 DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
3 posts

marke said:
Hi bejt1, sorry I don't understand your post at all. Who are you aiming it at ? If its us at dafneonline then you need to read the thread properly. No the auto-calculate won't be re-introduced and we have explained why. If its aimed at the MHRA, then they don't read or care about dafneonline....

If you follow the thread and observe the comments about people making decisions using DAFNEONLINE then you will understand my post!
I get very frustrated by organisations making decisions that affect others which are accepted without significant opposition. To say that MHRA don't care about DAFNE would suggest that you just want an easy life and are prepared to role over and have your tummy tickled. Why not organise a petition or campaign that gets this issue resolved, I am sure that it would be supported!

bejt1 DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
3 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
All dosage calculations should be done at the meter end I think, not an app..........

getting more meters with some kind of bolus wizard is key..........there are a few out there already.......

Very Happy

As a DAFNE graduate you will have received education on how to calculate your insulin dosage manually and this is the correct approach. The use of meters and DAFNEONLINE to determine the insulin dosage is simply the application of algorithm or calculations that follow the DAFNE principals. The answer is not at"the meter end" as you say but in whatever device you may want to use. DAFNEONLINE was a very good tool to use for this purpose but is of little use now.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

hi betj1, when you are prepared to post in an adult manner and discuss the issue sensibly then get back to us and we will explain who the MHRA are and why its an issue. If you wish to continue with insults and accusations then I will leave you to it,

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi Bejt1,

Although the dosage calculation was useful I agree, to say that DAFNEOnline is of little use now is a bit unfair, we still have the Diary, Charts, Carb counter, Handbook and Forums which have proved useful to a lot of people over the past 7 years.

Secondly, Mark and I run this site and apps in our spare time, we both have jobs, families, lives etc. we devote a significant chunk of that time to develop and support the site with little incentive save to support our fellow DAFNE graduates. Taking on the MHRA would take up a significant further amount of time and I'd rather focus on making the site run smoothly. If you or anyone else would like to start a campaign or take on the MHRA then I for one would be happy to support you with the technical expertise and DAFNE Online knowledge required. You can contact me directly via site message or [email protected] and we can figure out how to get it started.

Simon

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
34 posts

Someone needs to fix this app, it is now nothing short of dangerous, I have hypos from making mistakes with dosing.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi Firstrunner,

I'm not sure if you have read the rest of the thread but the whole reason for removing the calculation was forced by the UK and European governments, and was completely out of our hands.

A lot of people have discussed taking on the MHRA or starting a Kickstarter fund to get the app certified as a medical device. So far nobody has stepped up to help.

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
34 posts

How much would it cost, Im up for it

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

I've been reliably informed it would be upwards of £3000 for certification, potentially nearer £10k Shocked