Feedback from Android beta testing

83 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Hey, can I be emailed again with the link for the latest release............

Cheers.......... Wink

If paid work doesn't get in the way, the app will be made publicly available on the Android Market this week so I hope you can wait for that. This initial release will be the 1.3.r.265 BETA version plus a fix for the white text on a white background. Improvements to the auto-calc can be added in a future version when what is required is clear.

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

KeithC1 said: Those fields also need to support the + and - characters so that adjustments can be entered. So while for the BG field I can use android:inputType="numberDecimal" which yields the neat numeric keypad, for the CP, QA and BI fields I have to use android:inputType="numberDecimal|numberSigned|text" to ensure that the + and - characters can be entered which typically yields the messy phone-style keyboard layout.

CP, QA and BI can never have negative values. I thought any CP add list was a later adjustment using the input method function. Any QA adjustment is mental arithmatic or part of the autocalc function. On that basis I would use the number keypad - it is quite irritating having to page on to find the decimal point.

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
19 posts

Geofftrez said:
CP, QA and BI can never have negative values. I thought any CP add list was a later adjustment using the input method function. Any QA adjustment is mental arithmatic or part of the autocalc function. On that basis I would use the number keypad - it is quite irritating having to page on to find the decimal point.

While I understand the need to have a simplified usable input method, I disagree with the notion that QA adjustment is mental arithmatic.
When I was doing my DAFNE course, it was explained to us that we need to write down the adjustments explicitly so that you can look back and know what you did (especially if you are trying to work out what went wrong). As an example, an entry which reads CP:4 BG:10.4 QA:8+1-2 BI:12 note: "exercise" (with a QA:CP ratio of 2:1) is much more explicit that CP:4 BG:10.4 QA:7 BI:12 note:"exercise". The second set of numbers is not clear; did I account for the high BSL?
I'm also not sure why you need a decimal point for the CP, QA or BI fields (well maybe I can see a use for it in CPs).

Regards, John

Geofftrez DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
22 posts

In reply to John.
1CP = 2-3 BG The DAFNE target range is between 1.5BG and 3BG depending on the mealtime. To achieve that target 1CP is too large a unit of measure. As for QA and BI we now have insulin pens delivering half units.

On the corrective dose - I agree. Not sure how DAFNE deals with this on their internet software or why they chose not to show the correction as a separate figure if that is what they did.

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
19 posts

As someone who is on huge doses of insulin (compared with those of my fellow DAFNE coursemates) I was not aware that fractional dose delivery systems existed. Thanks for increasing my knowledge, and I withdraw my previous comment questioning the need for a decimal point.

Geofftrez said:
On the corrective dose - I agree. Not sure how DAFNE deals with this on their internet software or why they chose not to show the correction as a separate figure if that is what they did.

Looking at my online records (uploaded from the app), the dose+corrections are shown in the x+y format.

Harking back to something brought up many pages of comments ago... there was talk of wanting the BG field first to which Simon replied (my paraphrasing) that was how the iPhone app did it, and it is immaterial because you need to select the field anyway. I challenge the need to select the field as I have a "next" button in my keyboard which moves between fields, but no "previous" button. I can appreciate the desire to keep the iPhone and Android apps consistent, but also find that I enter the BG first, then have to go back to CP and skip over BG again to get to QA.

Regards, John

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

The application is now publicly available on the Android Market at https://market.android.com/details?id=dafneonline.android. Or just search for "dafne". I changed its version number back to 1.0 as that better reflects its lack of maturity (and the last part of the number is the "real" version number anyway). Please install the app from there and perhaps add a review so that others who have not been involved in the beta can get some comfort that the app is worth installing.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback - the app is much better now than it was thanks to you. The intention with this first version was to implement the features already present in the iPhone app; features discussed here that go beyond that will hopefully make it into both the iPhone and Android apps in the future.

Thanks,
Keith

Steven DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
18 posts

Hi,

Apologies - I missed getting involved in the beta testing, but I've just downloaded the app from the market and I'm a little confused. Should the diary synchronise with the online entries I've already added?

If there's a help page somewhere that I've missed, please can someone tell me where it is?

Thanks in advance
Steven

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
19 posts

Hi Steven,

Steven said:
Should the diary synchronise with the online entries I've already added?

You can go into the entries page, and from the menu select "Download". This will download all the missing entries in the period specified from DAFNE UK online to your app. Similarly "Upload" will put the entries in the app on to the online site. I'm not sure what happens if there is a discrepency between the two lots of data, 2 entries perhaps?

Steven said:
If there's a help page somewhere that I've missed, please can someone tell me where it is?

As far as I know, there is no help page. There might be something for the iPhone app, which is supposed to be functionally similar, but I have not looked into this.

Regards, John

KeithCl DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
43 posts

A while ago in this topic I asked the question "I was assuming that a manual wouldn't be needed given that users will be pretty well versed in the ideas having done the DAFNE training. Are there specific things that need describing?" but I don't think that got noticed. If a list of topics could be created here then that list might be coverable in a splash screen in the app or by some other help mechanism such as an embedded HTML file.

The synchronization mechanism works as follows. Entries created on the phone or on this web site are independent to start with. But If an entry is uploaded from the phone to the site or downloaded from the site to the phone then a relationship is established. So if a change is then made on the phone and the entry is uploaded again the corresponding site entry will be updated rather than a new entry being created. Similarly if a change is made on the site and the entry is downloaded again to the phone the corresponding phone entry will be updated rather than a new entry being created. Note that a simple overwrite is done so it would be a bad idea to edit entries both on the phone and on the site and then try and merge them.

Steven DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
18 posts

John Syer said:
Hi Steven,

Steven said:
Should the diary synchronise with the online entries I've already added?

You can go into the entries page, and from the menu select "Download". This will download all the missing entries in the period specified from DAFNE UK online to your app. Similarly "Upload" will put the entries in the app on to the online site. I'm not sure what happens if there is a discrepency between the two lots of data, 2 entries perhaps?

Steven said:

As far as I know, there is no help page. There might be something for the iPhone app, which is supposed to be functionally similar, but I have not looked into this.

Regards, John

Thanks John, just what I was after! Like I said, only just downloaded it so not had chance to play with it properly! Embarassed