Forums Have Gone Quiet

14 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The team I deal with in two hospitals are registered here and I have spoke to a few through the PM facility........

Obviously they would need to participate in their own time which can be difficult......

When I say general advice I purely mean participation, getting involved in the discussion, as opposed to divulging sensitive information........the more HCPs involved the more diverse the knowledge and experience....

You can check the HCP number in the user list......

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I cant access any listings at the moment because Im on my mobile. Sad I wonder what can be done about this situation... If anything.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

We presented DAFNE Online at the DAFNE Collaborative earlier this year - told them all about it and the benefits, and there were about 120 DAFNE Educators/Doctors/Dieticians there. There was really positive feedback on the day, and we even got some more HCPs signed up too.

The problem is that they are stretched to the maximum so I should imagine that it's pretty difficult for them to log on to the site. We did try and make it easier for them by having a dedicated forum for HCP questions, so they can direct their viewing there.

If your DAFNE Educator's aren't signed up to the site, get them in touch with us ([email protected]) and we can get them signed up as HCP's.

Also if you think of any other ways to help them get more involved, let us know.

Simon

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

As of today there are 263 people registered with the site as HCP's. They may not all be active or logging in all the time and part of the issue is confidentiality. I think its just a culture thing that hopefully will gradually change, the problem is not always the HCP's but the management of the PCT's who have dictated that HCP's should not talk to patients on sites like this in fear of potential legal action. That doesn't stop everyone however and indeed there are some failry senior people within DAFNE posting on this site. I think we just have to give it time and hope that eventually people realise that there need not be huge legal implications with giving general advice to patients via the internet. Lets face it there are plenty of people who are willing to give adive who don't have a clue what they are talking about. I'm not referring to anyone on here or diabetics in general just the internet in general. I have read some seriously dangerous and mis-leading 'medical advice' on the net, its much better to get advice from real medical staff.
Still as I say, if we keep plugging away, eventually things will change we just need to wait....