recording, meters, software & DAFNE

17 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I have the UltraSmart too - it does have a lot of cool features but I ended up never using them as the input method was too hard (apart from BG - I just bleed on it for that ;) ) I should be in a position to start doing a DAFNE Diary app over the Christmas break, all being well. In the meantime though, if anyone wants to start creating one, or knows someone who will then let us all know so we don't duplicate efforts.

Also, to get it specced up why not use this post, that way we can get everyone's input into the app?

So... Discuss what you want!

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Oh and I forgot to say - unfortunately it couldn't be easily ported between devices, as iPhone uses Objective-C as a programming language, which no other mobile device uses. That said, if there was enough demand for a DAFNE Diary on specific devices then we could get to grips with the technology and then implement it.

jigme
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
9 posts

hi Simon -

ok, well here's my thoughts on what a DAFNE app would need.

each individual record to include the following fields (all optional, except perhaps Date/Time):

• Date/Time (autofilled with current values, but editable to allow post-dated enties);
  • CP (Carbohydrate Portions eaten)
  • BG (Blood Glucose reading);
  • QA (Quick Acting insulin dose with either the option to add Adjustment dose, or a separate field for Adjustment dose);
  • BI (Background Insulin dose);
  • Notes

I'd suggest that a number-wheel for the numerical entries would probably be quickest, with one decimal place for the BG field (and maybe an option to enable a decimal place for the QA/BI fields, for pump users? for pen users, these would probably just get in the way.)

additional features that would be necessary/helpful are, in no particular order:

• personal info. to include name, height, weight, insulin types, other medication, etc.
  • ability to view a day's results together (listed in chronological order), and maybe a week's results together (grouped by day) - basically, just like looking at a page in your DAFNE diary.
  • ability to see BGs plotted on a daily graph, perhaps with the ability to overlay several days' results, and with all out-of-range BGs and Adjustment doses highlighted?
  • ability to export results to PC/Mac (as csv, or similar).
  • ability to connect and upload results to your DAFNE online diary.
  • ability to email results to yourself, your HCP, etc.
  • ability to input ratios for mealtimes, and for the appropriate QA field to be automagically calculated and filled (whilst remaining editable) from the CP field's value.

these are just a few things off the top of my head. if anyone sees something that you disagree with, or doesn't see something that should be included, then please comment!

many thanks to Simon and any other interested developers.

Alann DAFNE Graduate 12 posts

Hi guys,

I use sinovo's sidiary (http://www.sidiary.org/) it covers all the needs of DAFNE and more, will run on a number of platforms including Iphone and best of all they do a freeware version (ok with advertising). I would recommend it without a second thought.

Alan

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hello Alan...

Thanks for that info. Had a quick peek at sidiary, and to say comprehensive would be an understatement. Immediately had a vision of my hcp's face if I suggested use of this software... although sidiary's emoticons might just help!

Seriously however, a closer look would surely give quite a few clues which could be used in moving DO BG Diary forward. So could be good if a few other of us dl the sidiary 30day free offer and reviewed. Just need to find the time!

Cheers, John

hankypanky DAFNE Graduate
Salisbury DAFNE Centre
18 posts

one touch, ultra smart it does your bg + you can enter insulin amount and also how many carbs too, i used this metre for ages and its always good to look at your patterns

Steve H

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

Just to say I haven't forgotten about this. I can get the UltraEasy working, but unfortunately it appears there aren't that many people on here that use this meter.

Work on the UltraSmart has stalled. I can get the data from the meter onto the PC and I managed to figure out the date part of the entry, but I'm struggling to convert the computer (hex) numbers to real BG numbers. Some work ok, but really high or really low numbers don't seem to follow the same pattern.

Unfortunately Lifescan give you the technical specification for all meters EXCEPT the UltraSmart. Other people have managed it, so it is do-able. I've even got a C++ program that is supposed to be able to do it, but I'm struggling to understand it. Something about Bitshifting and bitstuffing. Don't suppose Marke or Simon know anything about this?

The UltraSmart would be the best meter to figure out, since it stores BG, Carbs, QI and BI taken. The Optium Xceed also looks fairly straight forward, but it is BG only and I don't have one to test with Surprised(

NiVZ