recording, meters, software & DAFNE

17 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

jigme
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
9 posts

hi -

like everybody else, i'm busy & disorganized & not good at recording... to help me improve my recording, i'd like to find EITHER:

a meter that will allow me to enter, as well as BG results, CPs eaten and insulin injected (preferably both BI and QA, as well as adjustment doses), and that has a USB port or Bluetooth/Wifi to upload all the records to some software on my computer;

OR

a Diabetes log app for my iPhone that has the appropriate DAFNE fields: Time, BG, CP, QA and BI - with the option to add adjustment QA doses also.

i know i could just carry the diary around and write all this down, but i don't. with the best will in the world, i know i'm not likely to in future, either! i already carry around my iPhone and my meter, and you'd think that there'd be either a meter or an iPhone app that would fulfil this function? if not, there'd be a market for one, i'm sure. does anyone know if such a meter/app exists?

many thanks.

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hi jigme ... have a look at Forum: Site Development> Uploading and posts by NiVZ who is looking at uploading.

Cheers, John

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

With regards to iPhone apps, I think there's one called 'Diabetes Log' or similar. If there isn't I'm currently learning iPhone development so would be happy to attempt creating one. Who knows, in time we could even link it to your DAFNE Online diary... ;)

Simon

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

These all sound like great ideas - I wondered if it might also be worth considering making a 'smart' application which could identify and advise on certain DAFNE patterns.

eg

If you're always high in the morning consider reducing your Basal Insulin (BI)
If you're always low in the morning consider increasing your Basal insulin (BI)
If you are taking a lot of correction doses then consider increasing your bolus ratio (QI) or increasing your basal (BI)
If you're having a lot of hypos consider lowering your bolus ratio (QI) or reducing your basal (BI)

A complete all-in-one diabetes app could also store your ratio information (for each time of day) as well as a list of common CP values as well.

So many possibilities.

I have a friend who also develops iPhone apps and he says this is all possible (and most of it is quite easy) Pity he doesn't know anything about diabetes ;o)

NiVZ

jigme
9 posts

hi -

thanks for these replies. i'd be very happy to beta-test and then buy any DAFNE log app! (my 'phone's jailbroken, so i can run non-App Store apps for testing) **PLEASE** do work on it! i'm sure that there'd be many DAFNE graduates who'd benefit, now and in future.

i bought an ebook, "iPhone in Action - Introduction to web and SDK development" from Manning eBooks, which is a well-recommended textbook on iPhone development but which i've never used: i'll give it to the first person working on a DAFNE app who messages me for it.

a connection to a DAFNE Online account is a great idea!

wrt a 'smart' app - i thought about that, as opposed to a simple log app, but can see potential problems... i'd be *very* careful! imagine if someone following the app's advice had a serious hypo whilst driving. i would look into the legal implications for the developer of an app that offers medical advice.

and then - how come no manufacturer has come up with a meter that can log this info? seems like a no-brainer to me.

Claire83 DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
3 posts

Hi.
I've had a bit of a browse through the apps on my iPhone and found what looks like quite a good one called Log for Life. You can entre your, BG's, CP's, Meds and even exercise. Its free so I might give it a go.
C

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

I agree giving specific advice is a bad idea. For example I would NEVER suggest having something that said "you need to increase or decrease by x amount".

However if patterns are identifiable it seems a shame not to give them a point in the right direction. Something like "You seem to be having a lot of hypos - you should consider speaking to a HealthCare Professional (HCP) about your QI ratio or BI (background insulin)". I think that would be safer (legally speaking)

My friend says if I write a program spec he may create a diabetic app, but as I don't have an iPhone it doesn't really help me I'm afraid Surprised(

NiVZ

jigme
9 posts

well i'm no programmer, but at least if we had a DAFNE iPhone app to begin with then it could be later ported to Windows Mobile, Symbian, etc., no? i dont really know how these things work...

amyway, i'd be more than happy to help your friend from the DAFNE/Diabetes side - i can write a "program spec" (assuming this is just a description of the app, with a list of required features, etc.? if it's more specific than that, perhaps you could send me an example/template for me to base it on?), test the app, etc., for example. also, perhaps folk could suggest features here, in this thread?

and that was my conclusion too, re. the advice the app gives (if we go the 'smart' app route) - advice to consult their HCP (plus some disclaimers!) would be helpful without putting them, or the developer, at risk.

please let me know if i can help out.

jigme
9 posts

likewise, Simon - if you want any (non-programming) help with an app, let me know.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Bit late to this conversation ( must have missed it somehow), a few points:
There ARE meters that let you enter this stuff, I have a Lifescan Onetouch UltraSmart and I can enter CP's exercise, BG's etc. It has a USB cable and I got the cable, software and meter free. The software is ok and NiVZ is working on apps to link these devices into the site.
I would be interested in trying the iphone app that already exists as well as anything developed. One of the issues for me is that the iphone app development environment is macintosh only I believe. Whilst I love my iphone, I really can't move away from windows bad though it is.
It may also mean its hard to port apps to Windows Mobile, symbian etc. I'm not really sure having only ever developed on larger equipment.
Still if we can find anyone to try development then why not.
I also agree the issue with a 'smart' app is it is very hard to give generic advice regarding diabetes, everyone is different and has different needs, better to have a recording device that provides information in a manner that allows the user to make their own decisions based on their own experiences.