rice and pasta

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Lyane DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
1 post

Hi was wondering if you may be able to help as I am getting very confused, and it really doesnt take much to confuse me!! I am a very new graduate of DAFNE and am finding it really tricky to calculate how much insulin (QA) to do for rice... so 100g uncooked rice is 8.5 CPS and 100g cooked rice is 3CPS I understand the CPS would be less for cooked rice as water would dilute the carbohydrate portion but which cp number should I use to inject with? As obviously there is a big varient, and I find my blood sugars just go mad with either uncooked or cooked.

Hope someone can help thanks Confused

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

2 scenarios:

1. Your have a sachet of Uncle Bens rice.............as you personally will be consuming all of this rice alone, the uncooked carbohydrate amount can be used, as cooked or uncooked, its all going in your mouth.

2. You and 3 other family members are having sweet and sour chicken with rice, you are cooking with a 600g bag of rice. As you wont be having the whole bag of rice, you will need to weigh out your portion, this time the cooked value will need to be used as now your portion of rice has transformed into a much heavier item on the scales.

I hope I got the point across................in the event you are eating an unknown portion size of rice which will be cooked and served from one large family size portion, then you use the cooked value. [unless you weigh yours out and cook separately]

So in your case of 100g of uncooked rice being 8.5 CPs, the 100g when cooked would then go up to roughly 300g in weight.

As rice is quite starchy and somewhat slower to digest than other carbs, this may be the cause of your mental BGs, sometimes there is a delay in the release of the glucose from starchier foods, so some folk split their dose before and after the meal in order to provide a second insulin action peak to deal with the delayed peak from the starchy item......

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I personally stick to the before cooking weight because Ive found it to be a lot more reliable. Once its cooked, if you need to split it, make sure you split the after cooking weight evenly because then you know how much to divide the before cooked CPs (I regularly have to split it by 2 so only have to half the before cooking CP total). So glad its only the weight that shifts due to water being absorbed or this would be madness lol.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Just wondering has anyone any experience of black wild rice please?

SeaBee DAFNE Graduate
Waitemata DHB, Auckland
1 post

The 100gr of the raw rice is 8.5CP and when it is cooked it will turn into 310gr of cooked rice because of the water it has absorbed during the cooking. The cooked 300gr is also 8.5CP, which is 2.8CP for every 100gr of cooked rice.

100 grams of cooked rice (3CP) is a much smaller amount of rice - roughly a third of example 1 - so the raw weight of 100gr of cooked rice would be about 35 grams (3CP). The same CP raw or cooked - but vastly different weights.

Also prefer to go by the raw weight and cook my rice separately because rice absorbs the water slowly during the cooking process, so if you don't cook the rice to its fullest absorption the cooked weight of 100gr of raw rice can vary from 200gr to 300gr which obviously makes a big difference to the final QA calculation.