BI Help

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi,
I am looking for some help sorting out my BI. I have calculated my total daily insulin using 0.55 x weight in kgs = 80kg x 0.55 = 44 units,thus BI would be 22 units.
As you can see by my morning BS I'm doing something wrong.
I am injecting levermir twice daily. Should I just inject once a day at maybe dinnertime?

Russ28 DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
4 posts

First thing I would suggest is you BI in the evening needs to be later have it just before you go to bed not 2 hours before. Secondly to test if it is the evening BI or not you need to go to bed with nothing working but that BI injection so no CPs or QA less than 4 hours before bedtime, test BG at bedtime then BI and bed test in the morning if BG results from prev evening and following morn are pretty much the same BI is fine if not repeat the process tweaking the night time BI until they come stable. By the way one set of results is inadequate to check you need couple of nights doing the same to find patterns. Hope this was helpful and good luck Smile

NHS Lothian
90 posts

Thanks for your reply Russ. I'll give what you suggested tonight and see how it goes.
I'm just mystified withj my night time readings and when I wake up 3 hours later, 9 night and 14.4 waking??

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

There appear to be frequent changes to BI. DAFNE says BI changes should be allowed to take effect for 2 or 3 days before changing again. When BI is correct, then use QA adjustments but separate from BI changes. I was also advised to try and keep my am and pm BI at the same units (mine differed by 3 at one point). It's a continous process - I change my BI every few weeks depending on BGs. May also help to take BI at the same time each day. I believe Levemir should be taken twice a day as it will not last 24 hrs.

But what works for one person may not work for you, or may not be possible due to lifestyle, work etc.

Hope this helps.

J

Pip510 DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
4 posts

Levemir has a working time of about 18 hours and you should inject twice daily, just before bed and when you get up in the morning.

It has a slow start time and takes up to two hours to peak, all of this information is in the Dafne Handbook.

If you want to keep a track on it follow Dafne rules and do a check at 3am to test your glucose levels.
You appear to be stacking your insulin in the daytime but you have to remember that it has a working time period as well, dependant upon what you are using.

Keep adjusting and seeing what works for you

NHS Lothian
90 posts

Thanks for your replies. I have a habit of injecting for every carb I consume and not considering the 3-5 hrs length of humalog.
I'm thinking the food has used the insulin injected and therefore I need more insulin when consuming more carbs.
Have I got the calculation correct for my BI?
I am not working due to having MS.