blood glucose problems

10 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
34 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I have been having some problems my blood glucose reading lately could someone help I am on levemir and novorapid

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

How is the background dose going....?

How much and often are you doing your background?

Have you tested it recently?

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Im going to drop the background down to 20 and I have increased the bolus

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
421 posts

You might actually want to look at increasing you basal slightly. Your before-bed readings tend to be lower than your waking readings, so increasing your basal at night might help with that. If you have lower readings than you currently do in the morning, then it may help to avoid the highs later on. Basal is always important to sort out first. Without that being correct, bolus calculations just become an exercise in frustration.

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

I decreased the basil to 20 units twice daily and increased the bolus to 1:1 ratio but my blood glucose dropped after breakfast I had a hypo before dinner so im watching everything today but I think 24 for basil would be too much

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

I dont know how to test background.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

It's says your a DAFNE graduate.....

You must of learned how to test then surely..

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
421 posts

To test basal, compare your before bed readings with your waking readings.To have validity, it is best to not have food or QA close to bed time (if your bed time reading is at least 3 hours after carbs and QA, then this test will be much more accurate). If you need to correct with insulin or treat a hypo during the night, then the test isn't valid either. Basically you want to see how your body responds to basal insulin without food or QA.

If your bed time and waking readings are within 1.5 mmol/L of each other, then your basal is considered to be the appropriate dose. If you consistently get differing readings that show a trend (e.g. almost always higher in the morning than at bed time), then follow the DAFNE rules to change your basal by 10% or 1 unit up or down depending on the trend. Monitor again over three days to see if any further dosage changes are required.

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Cheers warwick that helped a lot and on my dafne course they took me out the class to get my weight and when I went back they asked who was on steroids and everyone put their hand up and got took into the next room but they wouldnt let me go through so I got a different dafne from everyone else.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
421 posts

This is hopefully also covered in the DAFNE handbook that you would have received a copy of. If you don't have it there is also an electronic copy under DAFNE Tools above - DAFNE Course Handbook. This probably does a better job of explaining how to test that your basal rates are correct. I can't refer you to a specific page as I only have access to the Australian version which differs from the British one.

All the best with it.