LOW INSULIN INTAKE

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

alanG DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I attach a few days recent diary, which are fairly typical of my lifestyle pattern.
I have had diabetes for 18 months, and went on a DAFNE course about 6 months ago.
Using the tools from that, I have ended up taking 2 BI units in the morning, 10 units in the evening.
As I am reasonably active, golf, garden, exercise bike, and proper bike - weather acceptable, and I am trying to lose some weight, I have determined that if I have low carb breakfast and lunch, I can maintain good blood glucose levels without any QA insulin at all.
If I do have a more substantial breakfast or lunch, I take QA insulin at a ratio of 0.5:1.
We eat our main meal around 5 - 6 pm. I have been using a ratio of 0.75:1, which compensates for "grazing" in the evening. As winter is now setting in I have been on the exercise bike in the evening rather than watching crummy tv, and have now dropped the evening ratio to 0.5.
My blood glucose levels are good, including a long-term level around 42-44 over the last 12 months.
I have had occasion where I am out and about, and may have some reasonable carb intake without insulin correction - bacon sandwich while out shopping, couple of beers and a few crisps after a meeting, but when I check my sugar levels later there is no significant impact.
I am clearly confused (but happy) at my low insulin requirements, and wonder if other members have a similar experience, which would settle me down a little.
I also wonder if I am still producing some insulin that is supplementing my injections, although I recognise that any "honeymoon" period should have ended by now.

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Keep up the exercise alanG. I love my bike rides 3 or 4 times a week. They have reduced my insulin needs significantly over the last months. Afraid I am a little more insulin resistant than you after 35 years and am jealous. My lowest ratio throughout the day is 2:1.
Helps if you record your pre-driving BG every time. You need to avoid DVLC getting involved. Please record a BG before every meal or what do you base your QA and BI on?
Very happy to see your results are so good. Reminder to myself....Keep up the exercise.
Regards
Garry