Still not too confident 😕

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Joanne80 DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi I'm newly graduated from DAFNE and just need a bit of advice to see if I'm going right. Will post my diary too. My blood glucose levels are rising overnight for the past 2 days upon waking does this mean I need to increase my bi on a night ?? Just needing a second opinion until I'm a bit more confident. Thanks

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

In principle you're right, and on the face of it there's scope for an increase, but it looks like it's only a couple of nights since a previous increase of 2 units from 14 to 16. In my head I can hear my DAFNE Educators advising a couple of during-the-night tests, just to make sure that things are OK (e.g. that your morning highs aren't your body's auto-reaction to undetected overnight hypos). Also, my understanding is that increases in BI don't always kick-in immediately, and you might want to be certain that the previous increase has impacted before you make another one. Having said all that, patience isn't one of my virtues and I suspect that in your position I'd be keen to get it sorted!

Joanne80 DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

I had never thought of overnight hypos ... Think will stick to what I'm having for a few more days then and check in night to make sure then will increase if nothing changes. I have only been on insulin for just under 2 weeks so it's all a bit new to me. I'm on levemir and novo rapid. Could have done with being on DAFNE course for another week just to get that bit more confident but I'm sure that it will come with time and the support from this group. I appreciate your input 😊

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Welcome Joanne80. Smile
With ongoing higher Blood Glucose results you may have an infection of some sort. Were your BGs good last week?
If not, you may well need increase your BI to help control the situation. Please remember though that BI changes can take days to have any impact. I know you are concerned at the moment and want quick improvement, but you must accept that your body takes time to adjust to a changed BI. I'm on Lantus BI and it always takes me 3 days to see any real change in BGs. We are all physiologically different, but this rule seems to hold true for the vast majority of us. May be a little different when you use another BI however. So my advice is take it slowly, look at your results and analyse them. Try to think about how much exercise you get each day and note that in your diary too. In a few days you may see the BI kick in but try to be cautious. None of the BG results listed in your diary are too dire. Don't worry. You will get back on track in a few days.
Regards
Garry