average

5 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kawaii DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
6 posts

Before DAFNE my average recorded on my meter was around 6.3 HBA1C 58% Very Happy currently my average blood glucose is 9.1 Sad my results have been a tad higher than usual they tend to be above the recommended targets or on the high side of the recommended targets - but i'm still having the same type of food with less hypos - i am on a 1:1 ratio and on 56 units of lantus - I've tried increasing the ratio of QA by half but not much change there - my sleeping pattern has also changed i tend to work till late in the morning 3 am (tend to snack on nuts or peanut butter) go to be and wake up at 11 am go to the gym then have brunch at 1 - checked ketones

is it my sleeping pattern change or the exercise thats giving me high sugars or should i increase my ratio again by half or increase my lantus

im really confused Confused and panicking and i feel like i should be injecting more or should i wait a bit longer and see a pattern because i haven't had high BG reading like 8 -10 (except on my periods)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hi Kawaii,

Your sleeping patterns could be effecting your blood sugar levels, waking at different times than you normally do will effect your internal clock, and its this clock that has an effect on hormone release, which in turn is responsible for glucose production from the liver and to the sensitivity to insulin in the blood stream.

Ultimately in the end you need to do a basal/background insulin test. This is normally a good idea when there has been a big change in your daily routines, before and after illness, change in weight and change in the seasons/weather.

There may be some requirement to adjust your insulin/carb ratios but until your sure its not your background insulin you should steer clear from them at this point.

Being on 56 units of Lantus I would assume you are more resistant to insulin than most and/or are heavier, this would mean any adjustment you make to your dose would need to be that bit bigger, so instead of a 2 unit increase, maybe try a 3 for example.

I am just a fellow diabetic and not an HCP so take anything I say as friendly advice...... Smile ....

I would recommend doing a background test, so no carbs or QA insulin in your system, then take hourly BG tests between the allotted test period.

The first test period should be overnight, so start before bed, and do hourly test until the morning.

This will let you know what your Lantus is doing overnight, it should be holding within 1-2mmol/l right through, if you wake higher or lower an adjustment is needed.

The same can be done during the day but you can break up the test periods in to 4-5 hour slots, so you can miss breakfast [or go carb free meal] and do hourly tests on the Monday, miss Lunch and do tests on the Tuesday, miss Dinner and do hourly tests on the Wednesday, you get the idea.

This will give you a good picture of what your current 56 units is doing over the majority of the day.

How long have you been diagnosed? To not have 8-10mmol/l from time to time would be abnormal to me personally, especially mid meal.

If you haven't I would expect you to be newly diagnosed [within 1-3 years], really fit or lucky..... Smile

I hope I have helped....

kawaii DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

yh i am a tad Embarassed (been generous) heavier than others and my lantus has been reduced recently due to weight loss and increased sensitivity Very Happy hoping to lose more weight - i did the test and it was ok it was my sleeping pattern

I have been diagnosed for 8 years now and i think i have ODD (obsessive diabetes disorder) because at one point in my life thats the only thing i could control hence the hypos and its really hard to break my "diabetes" panic once my BG is around 9 or higher - but thanks anyway

kawaii DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Hi Kawaii,

Your sleeping patterns could be effecting your blood sugar levels, waking at different times than you normally do will effect your internal clock, and its this clock that has an effect on hormone release, which in turn is responsible for glucose production from the liver and to the sensitivity to insulin in the blood stream.

Ultimately in the end you need to do a basal/background insulin test. This is normally a good idea when there has been a big change in your daily routines, before and after illness, change in weight and change in the seasons/weather.

There may be some requirement to adjust your insulin/carb ratios but until your sure its not your background insulin you should steer clear from them at this point.

Being on 56 units of Lantus I would assume you are more resistant to insulin than most and/or are heavier, this would mean any adjustment you make to your dose would need to be that bit bigger, so instead of a 2 unit increase, maybe try a 3 for example.

I am just a fellow diabetic and not an HCP so take anything I say as friendly advice...... Smile ....

I would recommend doing a background test, so no carbs or QA insulin in your system, then take hourly BG tests between the allotted test period.

The first test period should be overnight, so start before bed, and do hourly test until the morning.

This will let you know what your Lantus is doing overnight, it should be holding within 1-2mmol/l right through, if you wake higher or lower an adjustment is needed.

The same can be done during the day but you can break up the test periods in to 4-5 hour slots, so you can miss breakfast [or go carb free meal] and do hourly tests on the Monday, miss Lunch and do tests on the Tuesday, miss Dinner and do hourly tests on the Wednesday, you get the idea.

This will give you a good picture of what your current 56 units is doing over the majority of the day.

How long have you been diagnosed? To not have 8-10mmol/l from time to time would be abnormal to me personally, especially mid meal.

If you haven't I would expect you to be newly diagnosed [within 1-3 years], really fit or lucky..... Smile

I hope I have helped....

yh i am a tad Embarassed (been generous) heavier than others and my lantus has been reduced recently due to weight loss and increased sensitivity Very Happy hoping to lose more weight - i did the test and it was ok it was my sleeping pattern

I have been diagnosed for 8 years now and i think i have ODD (obsessive diabetes disorder) because at one point in my life thats the only thing i could control hence the hypos and its really hard to break my "diabetes" panic once my BG is around 9 or higher - but thanks anyway

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

so the background test held you steady overnight....?

are you planning on any daytime tests.....?

If they tests prove successful then you can confidently move on to your meal time insulin/carb ratios.... Smile