help

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Delboy21 DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
4 posts

I was ill about three weeks ago with a sore throat ever since then I have had to put up my ratios from 1 1/2 in mornings 1 to 1 for lunch and 1 1/2 for dinner now I am taking 2 1/2 to one in morning and still 1 to 1 at lunch but I take 3 to 1 for dinner my blood sugars in the morning are double figures by lunch down to single figures but back up to lower double figure by dinner time am very busy at work getting stressed more and very tired would this affect my blood sugars this way or has anybody gone through what I am its stressing me out and getting very worried. Crying or Very sad

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

No an HCP, but here are my thoughts....

stress could be effecting your blood sugars, but its best to do a background test especially after an illness as your liver may have been providing more glucose help your recovery......

because you have had to increase 2 out of 3 ratios t the same time it may suggest a background insulin deficit....

what background insulin are you on...

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

Only one ratio should be changed at a time, after identifying a pattern over several days. As Novorapidboi says it could be a background issue. Worth doing a test to check your background is ok.

chris1250 DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
1 post

I dont really have an answer to your problem but I am experiencing much the same problem. My blood sugars are in double figures in the morning, Ok by lunch time and the rest of the day. I think its my background insulin as on Lantus taken first thing in the morning and only lasts 16 hours. Have consulted my DAFNE coordinator but no reply yet. When do you take your background insulin and what background insulin are you on.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

It might be worth trying your lantus at night.....then compensate with qa in the evening.....

Next step would be splitting your lantus or moving to levemir....

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I split my Lantus about a year ago and it helped a lot. You have to do it gradually though - drop a couple of units from your usual dose and add them back in at the other end of the day.

It is quite common for BI needs to change over time, and especially in winter.