Sick Day Rules For Those Not Using MDI Therapy

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jimandbillow
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

Hi,

Does anyone know of guidelines for somebody who is on a mixtard insulin and therefore having one injection in the morning and one in the evening?

What would a person using this therapy do to change their insulin when ill?

Thanks

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

A very valid question though one I'm not sure of the answer because DAFNE is based on the MDI regime as it allows more flexibility.

I hope you're feeling okay. Sad It maybe best to contact your health team for advice. Hopefully an HCP will speak up here too.

Have you thought about changing to MDI? Would you like to do the DAFNE course?

Welcome to the forum as well. Get well soon if you are poorly.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

that is a tricky one.........

i suppose it might work but with a reduced portion of the daily total.........as you still need insulin to process ketones..........

im just taking a stab in the dark though.........definitely speak to a professional, which I realise you have done by using this thread, hopefully one of our regular hcps can make some comments....

Jimandbillow
8 posts

Thanks both,

I was asking on behalf of a friend. I've always been on an MDI and like you both, did not know the answer. Their HCP also didn't know.

Not sure what guidelines there are for this therapy, but hopefully I someone might have an answer. Must be something like what novorapidboi26 suggested.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Penine GP training document

From a google search its clear there are rules out there but each different clinic has their own recommendations........would still be wise for your friend to seek professional assistance but the above document gives some sound advice, will never be as effective as the DAFNE/MDI sick day rules but will definitely help.....

Jimandbillow
8 posts

Thanks for your help Novorapidboi26