Ketones at Night

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Eatonmywords DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I discovered two skin infection sites on 27th. The GP nurse prescribed antibiotics to fight the infection. Alongside hot compresses this seems to have worked quite well. I am checking Ketones as I also have a cold. But I am finding that I am clear of Ketones during the day, but they reappear before I go to bed meaning I am having to check 2 hourly through the night (according to the sick day rules).

Is it normal for Ketones to come and go like this? Could I make a change to my INSULIN regime during the day to counteract the Ketones at night?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

how many ketones are you registering? Is it blood ketones?

Ketones usually present them selves when there is lack of glucose energy getting in to the cells and so fat is burned to satisfy that glucose requirement. You seem to be having carbs every few hours with insulin, so you would expect ketone levels to be lower during this time, which is during the day, the time your ketone levels are lower....

I cant really say if its normal for ketones to come and go. I know once they are there they have to processed with insulin just as glucose does....

If the ketone levels are low, so + or ++, then I would recommend doing a BI check overnight. Only if you feel up to it. You would be up every 2 hours anyway, so it would be an excellent opportunity to see what your BI is doing overnight.

Ultimately you aren't getting enough insulin during the night, which is causing the ketones, so getting your BI to do the heavy lifting rather than breaking sleep and giving QA to compensate would be much more appealing....

Very Happy

Eatonmywords DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Thanks novorapidboi26 - I think that my BI is holding me steady once I have got rid of the ketones I am back in target and it holds me there. I wondered about increasing my dinnertime ratio in the hope that it would help hold the ketones off. I am on soluble (Humulin S) QA so it hangs around for up to 8 hours.