dafne sports camps?

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

JennyNZ 29 posts

Just recently I went to this wonderful camp in America (from New Zealand) called campWILD a camp to help athletes who have diabetes manage training and racing in either track, cycling or triathlon. it catered for beginners to very accomplished. it was wonderful! there was a mix of theory and practice. (if I could post photos I would!!!) Have DAFNE ever thought about doing something like this? Have to admit that I have found the DAFNE programme's weakest link is training and racing. e.g. coping with 4am starts; having long races over 3-4 hours; nutrition on long bike rides/swims etc. I wouldn't expect this kind of detail to be part of the general dafne programme but the opportunity to discuss and practice with other diabetics was invaluable - I got so much out of it.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Jenny,

Closer to you than the USA is Act1vate - http://www.hypoactive.org/content/act1vate-2013

It should run again in March next year somewhere reasonably close to Melbourne, Australia. It runs from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. It it is full of practical information and I found it fantastic and extremely helpful earlier this year. If you subscribe to the email list, you should get details of when the next one happens if you are interested. In March there were about 40 attendees I think and it is very liberating to be surrounded by others all testing and injecting, or dialling up insulin pump doses.

Cheers,
Warwick.

JennyNZ 29 posts

Warwick thanks so much! Yup - Melbourne's 4 hr. travel time compared to Boulders 18 hours is worth thinking about. will certainly look in to it. we also got to trial CGM's while at camp and they were great!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

That would be nice. I'd love to use a CGM and know my trends, but the consumables are so expensive currently. Perhaps they will come down in price soon. My notes from the course are here if you are interested:

http://needcarbs.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/tips-from-act1vate/

Cheers,
Warwick.