No carb day .. Nearly

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

MaryJC DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hiya
Yesterday had quite a good low carb day, for me it was anyway. I had 3units QA at breakfast and needed no more until this mornings breakfast. Would like any comments on diary. I'm trying to get the hang of working out basal. I'm now taking at regular times and trying to have some no carb meals.

Mary x

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So by 18:39 yesterday you were on target, great, nearly 2 hours later, still within range, brilliant......you should try and get another reading at 22:00, as its likely before bed, but mainly as it will tell you if your AM BI dose is lasting up till then.........

Do the same tonight and tomorrow.........if all is well then you can tick off dinner to bedtime as OK......

You might find that between lunch and dinner you need more less BI, and the same from breakfast to lunch........because injecting isn't completely flexible you might need to compensate for any surplus or deficit of BI with some QA.....

Well done so far......

MaryJC DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

thankyou x

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Can you please post what your QA and BI insulins are? It is always nice to know the profiles of the insulins.

Thanks,
Warwick.

MaryJC DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

I have just been looking this up myself as everyone seems to mention what they are taking.
My QA is Novorapid which I believe starts to work in 15 mins.
My BI is Insulatard which, according to the leaflet is a isophane insulin suspension (NPH)
And starts to work in 1.5 hours and lasts for 24 hrs
I split this and take 8 units morn and night,

I have been using my QA 4times a day before meals if neccessary. Thats what i have figured out from everything i have read. But I would like to know from all you people out there that seem to know what you're doing < smiling>. If I had a snack in between meals should I have more QA. As my lunchtime insulin may still be working I am not sure how I would work all this out
Ie- lunch at 1:30pm BG 4.4. CP 6 QA 3
I've had a snack at 5:30 pm. CP 2.5 would anyone have taken more for that or just waited until dinner time to correct as normal.
I am thinking of this more during the evening as that's when I get "the munches"

Muddled Mary xx

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If within an hour of next meal you can take it eith dinner but not correct....

It's more in the middle of your insulin action from the previous meal then you would take for it there and then and it would be the normal dose provided your previous carb count and timing was good...

You can check your bg at the snack and expect it to be higher....if its on target in the middle of the insulin action you may have more units still to go and would need to consider that before dosing for the snack...